PDA

View Full Version : Are PPL's still welcome?

Diplomate
25th Oct 2001, 00:13
Hi all,

I hope you don't mind a question from one of the little guys who get in the way and sometimes struggle with RT!

I have had my PPL for 2 years now and as part of my "continuous PPL development" have been meaning to try to visit ATC (probably MAN) for some time now but have never got round to it!

Following the September 11th events, will this still be possible/advisable due to security etc? If it is OK, how should I go about arranging it?

Many thanks for your help.

Dan Dare
26th Oct 2001, 18:53
Phone the tower, the worst they can do is say no!

NextLeftAndCallGround
26th Oct 2001, 22:32
And if Manch say no - and even if they don't - ask at a small airport too, lots of the controllers you speak to work in rather different environments. :eek:

bagpuss lives
26th Oct 2001, 23:10
I'm quite sure there should be no problem with you visiting.

Try calling ATC Operations at Manch (the number eludes me sorry) and asking there. The chaps who work there are jolly nice fellows and should be able to sort you out with something - providing we have the staff ofcourse which is usually the only reason we say no.

If that don't work drop me a line and I'll see what I can do when I return from AL :)

bagpuss lives
1st Nov 2001, 23:20
Just to follow this up with fact.

All visits to MACC, and I suspect most other units across the country, have been "suspended" given the security situation at the moment.

This is apart from flight crew and, possibly, PPL's but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Anyone else, I've been told, is strictly not permitted. Which is understandable I guess.

Sorry all you potential students and interested parties.

[ 01 November 2001: Message edited by: niteflite01 ]