PDA

View Full Version : PC Navigation Software

boomerangben
11th Sep 2004, 17:58
Can anyone recommend navigation software for a pc that will also accept a GPS input? I'm not interested in PDA or palms, I'm looking for something that will work on a laptop.

drauk
11th Sep 2004, 19:05
Depends exactly what you want and what coverage you need.

The ever-popular Navbox ProPlan allows a GPS input and has comprehensive database, so if you want a vector based map that covers the whole of Europe that is a good choice.

MemoryMap will also take a GPS input and display your position on whatever map you have, including the official CAA charts in the UK (but no other aviation information). You could do the same with OziExplorer if you scan your own maps I suppose, but for the money you might as well get the proper charts.

I believe AnywhereMap are now making a PC version of their PocketPC software. They've always had a flight planner, which isn't much cop. Also, it isn't great for use in the UK because the database is poor.

From memory I think that AirPlan (which is cheap and functional if a bit ugly) will take a GPS input too and it has a pretty good global database.

boomerangben
12th Sep 2004, 16:04
Hi Drauk,

Thanks for the reply - I will chase up the links.

BB

Trislander
12th Sep 2004, 18:19
I would by far recommend Memory-Map, by far the easiest to use and sounds like the kind of thing your looking for. They have a free trial available for download on their website, www.memory-map.co.uk

:ok:

drauk
12th Sep 2004, 23:08
Trislander, MemoryMap is the easiest to use, but it does quite a bit less than the other options. Also, for some people the map display is overly detailed, being as it is a regular CAA map. As features can be turned on or off on vector based maps (like NavBox) you can customize the display. Airspace in particular is much clearer on these type of maps. As such I'd have to say that the choice is not completely clear cut for some people.

S-Works
13th Sep 2004, 09:56
Jeppesen FlightStar/Flightmap.

I use it all the time. On a touch screen laptop (pen computing tablet) with a GPS it works fine. You can use it with approach plates as well.

Jepp also do there own version of a tablet PC for it.

FullyFlapped
13th Sep 2004, 10:20
Yep, have to concur with Bose-X. I have tried (I think) most of the popular ones, and I think that Flitemap is the best option for a moving map display on a laptop (although I'd recommend you to think about a pen-driven tablet). Memory Map is also good if you're happy to use CAA maps, but the downside is that they only do maps for the UK, so you're stuffed if you want to go abroad. Upside is MM supports PDA usage, which Jepp doesn't.

The other option is OziExplorer, which, as Fuji Flyer kindly pointed out to me a while ago, is pretty damn good as well .... copyright restrictions permitting, you can scan and add just about any map to it.

FF :ok:

LowNSlow
13th Sep 2004, 11:13
NavBox 5 and a Garmin Pilot III is the cheapest foolproof method of ensuring that you don't end up "temporarily unsure of your position".

boomerangben
13th Sep 2004, 12:30
Thanks everyone.

I am looking for a program that will be used to follow the nav, generate Lats/Longs for waypoints and record the flight path. It will not be used for flight planning or as a primary nav aid. What is important is the size of the screen, so PDAs/ipacs etc are out.

Bose-x, touch screen laptop sounds good - how big is the screen?

BB

S-Works
13th Sep 2004, 13:12
mine is a 15" TFT.

FullyFlapped
13th Sep 2004, 16:41
I tried all sorts of screen sizes before settling on a 12" Tosh. Everything just seems too big in a cramped cockpit !

On the Spot
14th Sep 2004, 02:09
Teletype works on the PC as well as a palm and accepts GPS input plus has international mapping

JeroenC
15th Sep 2004, 04:26
Try

www.pocketfms.com

It is free, however, to receive greatly enhanced detailed mapls, they require a 50 euro donation.

Then you have a continiously updated program with maps and navdata for the whole world, for which no additional fee exists!

Runs on PocketPC as well as PC (laptop).

It is not very intiuitive, but read the manual and you'll do fine.

Regards,

JC

(no, not affiliated, just enthousiastic!)

Julian
15th Sep 2004, 18:46
I have used Nav Box linked to a £100 Garmin eTrex, a moving map GPS for about £170 if you already own the laptop. A mate and myself did a VFR route and checked at various waypoints along the route and found the software to be extremely accurate so top marks to Nav Box.

The instructor we used for a Jersey checkout was in shock when we pulled the laptop out in the aircraft and set it up - he had never seen it before and was telling all the others afterwards. nice to get one up on an instructor every now and then :o)