PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Reconigtion ??

Vfrpilotpb
22nd Oct 2001, 13:18
Good Morning,

I fly helis , and as most people will know there are slightly different ways of arriving and landing at most airfields than there are for aircraft, problems arise sometimes from information passed to me when my mind is set on the immiediate task of t/o or landing, such as "after the PA 28/38 you may commense", whilst I think I have a very good grasp of as much avaition info as I can hold, I do not understand what a PA28/38 is , is it a low/high winged single/twin,
on two occasion's I have been supprised by another f/w a/c taxi-ing into my view/field of take off, is there not a better way of giving information about aircraft other than their manufacturers code, after all very few controllers say to f/w pilots that a B206 is crossing their path followed by a EC135TI.
Please don't bite my head, of this is not any form of critisim but an attempt to see if this area could be cleaned up or streamlined, the concentration needed with heli's is immense, and I would hate to miss a taxi-ing, or landing aircraft because of a code number mix up, due to ignorance of that info.

Gonzo
22nd Oct 2001, 13:57
For what it's worth, during training I was told to ID such a/c as Cherokees, Tomahawks etc etc.

Of course, there was always one who'd ID the C130 as a Cessna!

Gonzo.

Push Approved
22nd Oct 2001, 14:33
I'll be the first to admit that I haven't the foggiest what most g/a aircraft look like, as I spent most of my days staring at B737, B777, A330.....so if any unfamiliar types come in to mind slots, they're generally referred to as "light twins", and exact traffic information given.

:p

Gonad
22nd Oct 2001, 15:32
vfrpilotpb, if your ever in doubt as to who your traffic is, the easiest and safest thing to do is ask us. No atco worth his (or her) salt would bite your head off. I would much rather you ask me to confirm your traffic than risk you lifting against the wrong traffic causing a loss of sep or worse in your case lifting into vortex wake and having you flip over (obviously this would not happen against a c152 but it could against a c130!). We often give the ac code as that is what we have in front of us on the flight strip.

Vfrpilotpb
22nd Oct 2001, 19:43
Gonad,
Hi and thank you, I have asked in the past, but always get the feeling that I am being chastised with the tone of reply.But will percivere! :D ;)

5milesbaby
24th Oct 2001, 03:18
VfrPilot, the other way is to work out the common a/c being pointed out (probably C152/172 and PA's) and unfortunately teach yourself what they look like. Get the defining characteristics so you know them. Then if an a/c is called that you don't know, ask ATC for more specifics, and try to compare to the manufactors' other models that you do know. Gradually you'll get better, and if still unsure, ask ATC 'is that our one' as the a/c passes, always best to be SAFE......
A/c recognition is a big thing during the initial courses at the NATS college, and having spent many a day at an airport trying to get collegues up to scratch, know how tiresome it can be, but if it helps safety, it must be worth it.