PDA

View Full Version : Crossing the channel

LondonJ
8th Sep 2004, 11:39
This weekend I'm hoping to do my first P1 cross channel from Elstree to Le Touquet (returning on the same day). I've done a search but couldn't find a short list of Things-to-do before going abroad as opposed flying in the UK. I went to Weston with an instructor about 2 years ago so I just wanted to check that I have remembered everything.

1) Flight plan at least 1 hr before departure

2) Life jackets (+ raft)

3) Customs organised 24 hrs before arrival at Le Touquet (do I need customs on landing at Elstree as well?)

4) Someone mentioned something about a VAT certificate for the plane, is this something that is with the aircraft documents?

Anything else I have missed would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
J

MikeJeff
8th Sep 2004, 11:42
No need for 24h customs at le2k, just pitch up. Not sure about return to elstree though, you will definitly need customs though.

All aircraft docs - insurance, c of a, pilots license, passport etc

you also need a copy of the interception proceedures in the aircraft.

2Donkeys
8th Sep 2004, 11:49
No need for a VAT certificate unless the aircraft has an N (or other non-European) registration on the side.

French Customs officers are not permitted to enquire as to the VAT status of an aircraft registered in another EU state.

2D

Penguina
8th Sep 2004, 12:14
Customs at Elstree:

Go to the tower for a customs form ('general aviation report') and give it to them completed. They will sort it out then. Apparently they charge you for this service even if you print it off the internet and fax it yourself (not typical Elstree or anything, that... :rolleyes: ) so you may as well.

If you're coming back at a very different time from planned (especially earlier) get in touch - could cause problems.

Fly Stimulator
8th Sep 2004, 13:43
Apparently they charge you for this service even if you print it off the internet and fax it yourself

They're not the only NW London airfield to charge for this 'service' even when you do it all yourself! :*

LondonJ,
It's often a good plan to do your return flight plan as soon as you reach Le Touquet so that you're all set to go as soon as you return to the terminal.

As MikeJeff says, there's no need for prioir notice of your arrival at Le Touquet since they're a full-time Customs field, now with scheduled flights from Shoreham as well as the Trislanders from Lydd.

distaff_beancounter
8th Sep 2004, 15:08
As MikeJeff says, there's no need for prioir notice of your arrival at Le Touquet since they're a full-time Customs field, now with scheduled flights from Shoreham as well as the Trislanders from Lydd. In theory, LeT has been a full-time Customs airfield for years.

BUT, has anyone actually found a Customs person there this year?

BUT, the marshaller (no uniform - no high-viz waistcoat - one handed signals over his shoulder to aircraft) is back in action on his "Follow-me-push-bike" :)

2Donkeys
8th Sep 2004, 15:12
BUT, has anyone actually found a Customs person there this year?

The Douane's customs "hit squad" were there a couple of weeks ago doing spot checks on aircraft whilst they waited for one particular Brit (reg witheld to protect the guilty) who they were keen to chat to.

Having been checked by the same guys at Lille just a few days earlier I was waved past.

2D

down&out
8th Sep 2004, 16:54
BUT, the marshaller (no uniform - no high-viz waistcoat - one handed signals over his shoulder to aircraft) is back in action on his "Follow-me-push-bike"
Ahh yes - I had fun trying to spot him. When I was taxing in a few weeks ago, some "self-concious" brit was wearing his hiz-viz waistcoat whilst unpacking his a/c (I guess he's from some unfortunate place requiring them and thought it would be a good thing to do there. :confused: ) This distracted me until I eventually I saw a man on a bike half waving at me:cool:

Shame some airfields get too strung up about the hi-viz stuff.

Agree also about filing the return flight plan on arrival AND get the ops desk to check with the tower they have it before you walk back to the a/c on departure. I did this and they confirmed they had it. However as I taxied out I heard someone else had started up, called to request taxi to be told the tower did not have his plan and he would have to shut down & go in & file it again. He said he had filed it earlier that day :*

On the Spot
8th Sep 2004, 17:34
Mind that they close at 19:00 weeknights - don't know about weekends.

Monocock
8th Sep 2004, 18:20
Have a really good trip. The first one is great and you'll want to go again the following weekend and explore even more when you realise that there is nothing to it really.

LondonJ
8th Sep 2004, 22:34
Thanks for your help. Just hoping the weather holds now!

down&out
9th Sep 2004, 07:35
Oh - yes

I forgot to mention -do think about hiring the push-bikes from the airport. They are a great way to get around and mean you're not sweating about if the taxi will turn up to take you back on time. The airport will also give you a local map to show you how to get around.

Have a great one:ok:

LondonJ
16th Sep 2004, 12:18
Well after all the planning I finally made it across the channel yesterday. I couldn't believe how simple it was - far removed from the tangle of extra procedures that I'd expected. We returned at about 6 and so got some really great pictures over the channel as the sun was coming low in the sky.

I say all this so that other pilots who have never been abroad will take the step and know that it really isn't that hard.

Aim Far
16th Sep 2004, 12:52
Congratulations!

It doesn't get significantly harder as you move further into the continent either. So don't stop at Le Touquet.:)

Fuji Abound
16th Sep 2004, 15:38
Dont forget your GAR!

LondonJ
16th Sep 2004, 17:53
I am certainly not stopping here, I went and bought Netherlands and Belgium maps today. Where can I get hold of flight guides for these places? Something along the lines of Pooley's UK VFR guide would be ideal.

Aim Far
17th Sep 2004, 09:10
Get a Bottlang trip kit from Jeppesen - has most of the things you need to know in a standard format that is very useful once you get to know it. I find I don't need the updating service - you don't update your Pooleys after all.

raceeend
12th Oct 2004, 15:53
You might take a look at www.piloten.be or www.eddh.de where you can find information about Dutch and Belgian fields.

In Holland I can recomend airfield Texel in the North http://www.texelairport.nl/ and in the center of Holland Lelystad airport http://www.lelystad-airport.nl/ you can find alot of info in the link section of the Texelairport homepage.
Lelystad is pretty close to Amsterdam so if you fly to Lelystad you can thereafter travel by train to Amsterdam in about 20 minutes. (cost aprox €15.- return ticket)

I'm Planning to go to England for the first time on the 22 of Oktober. It will be my first Channel crossing and i'm a bit nervous about it. I Have the Lifejackets but no raft since there is not enough room for that in the Katana DA20.

It is quite a long trip from Holland and I hope things wil go wel! :O