PDA

View Full Version : Aviation and Technology

eagle206
7th Sep 2004, 08:35
Hi

I am currently doing a project on how changes in technology have affected aviation.

I would be happy to hear your comments on this, to give me a greater range of ideas on this topic thanks.
:D

Old Smokey
8th Sep 2004, 14:15
Eagle206,

It's disappointing to see no response to what could be an interesting discussion. Perhaps your query would have been more fruitful if you'd reversed the question to "How have advances in Aerospace / Military technology affected the rest of civilisation?"

After 1 minute's thought things like RADAR - Microwave ovens, VHF/UHF radio developed for aviation - Television, GPS, advances in tyre technology, etc. come to mind.

Hoping that you get some fruitful responses,

Smokey

*Lancer*
9th Sep 2004, 12:15
Almost every development in aviation technology has come from war. It creates the ambition to have machinery that will out-perform the opposititions.

Jet engines
GPS
Aerodynamics (speed/supersonic/supercritical)
INS/IRS (ICBM guidance)

Just to name a few.

Almost every technological advance in aviation has come from a military program. So much so, that to preserve the continual advance of aviation and associated technology, there must be a continueing 'requirement' for military equipment renewal. This is the reason military hardware is mass-disposed rather than stored or updated (in countries that actually have military development programs anyway) - to preserve the micro-economy of technological advance.

Lancer

JackOffallTrades
14th Sep 2004, 19:52
A lot of developments in commercial aviation have come about from past accidents.

CFIT - Controlled flight into terrain has sparked some major developments, GPWS and EGPWS for example. But not just hardware, training too. CRM training has been developed over many years courtesy of crashes, conflict on the flight deck and bad decisions.

Simulators have been hugely involved with the development of aviation technology.

Instruments have been developed to improve situational awareness in all areas of aviation. EFIS is a good example.

Hope my waffle helps.