PDA

View Full Version : Alderney

davidevans
6th Sep 2004, 23:10
I'm planning on going to Alderney this Sunday just for the day if the weather holds out. Ideas please for getting around, a pleasant lunch and must see places...and all in about 4 hours?

englishal
7th Sep 2004, 07:51
Have a look at http://www.alderney.gov.gg/

cheers

Johnm
7th Sep 2004, 08:32
Suggest the Georgian House in St Anne for a good lunch it's about 15 mins walk form the Airport in the main shopping St called Victoria St

Alternatively the Old Barn does a great buffet lunch on sundays you might a need a taxi for that but they're easy and cheap. It's behind Longy Bay and has a lovely sheltered garden.

Uplifting some cheap avgas will reduce your landing fee and the tower will call the fueller for you they usually ask on approach or just after touch down, but you can obviously request on first contact if you like.

The island is absolutely beautiful.

If you get a mail voice on frequency don't forget your High viz and remember to call for start up when you leave!

Papa Charlie
7th Sep 2004, 08:33
One of my favourite places! Hiring a mini-moke is fun and are available at the airport. You can drive round the whole island in under an hour, so you should have plenty of time to sight see. Several nice restaurants around. Its only 10 minute walk into town from the airport if you decide that is easist for you.

Don't forget your 1 litre of duty free booze per person. Cheapest is the airport. Also get as much avgas as you cram in as it is sooo cheap.

Have fun! :D

cblinton@blueyonder.
7th Sep 2004, 13:26
great place, been there several times for the air race.

Be careful not to accept lifts from the locals!!!!!!!

Myself and my 5 passengers got in a car and were in it no more than 25 seconds before smashing into a stone wall at 45 mph turning the car over on to its roof, all out cold to wake with the smell of fuel leaking and flashing blue lights!!!!

Apart from that a lovely Island:{

Gertrude the Wombat
7th Sep 2004, 17:02
First & Last (at the harbour) used to be a good place to eat, but that was a while ago.

You can almost walk round the island in an hour, no need to get a vehicle.

Fort Clonque is worth a visit, but if you're not actually hiring the place you might not be able to persuade anyone to let you in.

So, you can walk from the airfield to the harbour, have lunch, walk round the coast to Clonque (the short way), and back to the airfied in your four hours. Sorry, I don't remember the exact route across the fields from Clonque back to the airfield but the path should be obvious enough.

Johnm
7th Sep 2004, 19:37
The First and Last is still a great place to eat, but it's only open evenings and not on Sundays.

Clonque is a pleasant walk but its very rocky that end of the island and don't forget it's at the bottom of the cliffs and the airport is at the top;-)

davidevans
8th Sep 2004, 22:45
thanks to everyone who's replied - Alderney sounds great - looking forward to Sunday.

Dave

bookworm
9th Sep 2004, 06:50
There's an interesting Garden Centre / Nursery at the opposite end of the island from the airport. Next time we visit Alderney I think my wife is going to stow a trolley in the back of the aircraft... ;)

Johnm
9th Sep 2004, 17:39
Bookworm you probably realise the garden centre is right next door to the Old Barn, so buy a few plants and then have lunch, sounds perfect to me;-)

bookworm
9th Sep 2004, 19:36
No I didn't. So there's a plan: I eat, She shops... hmm... ;)