PDA

View Full Version : Racetrack procedure join in the UK

Leo45
15th Oct 2001, 20:13
At Coventry,for instance,if you carry out the M.A.P.and ATC clears you aigain for the procedural ILS or NDB approach on runway 23, you will invariably find yourself in a position where you have to perform a parallel entry in the racetrack procedure (consisting, as stated in the AIP and relevant ICAO documents,in paralleling -in opposite direction- the inbound track and in flying outbound the stated dme distance or required time while descending to the platform altitude).Nevertheless most flying schools teach to join initially on a parallel entry the hold and then,on crossing the beacon,to follow the racetrack procedure.
Should you in this second case inform the ATC that you are performing a hold entry prior to carrying out the procedure or simply call" beacon outbound" as in the first case?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Oct 2001, 00:09
Long time since I've done any approach prodecural stuff, but offer this: Firstly, ATC will know the procedure you are expected to follow. Secondly I'm sure they will ask you to report at a particular point if they wish you to do so...

Anyone else offer any help?

Data Dad
16th Oct 2001, 13:38
Leo45, having looked at the AIP 23 ILS plate for Coventry I would say this...

depends what ATC tell you (The following is based on what happens where I work.) If you are cleared "outbound" for the approach with no delay (ie: before reaching the CT) then I would expect you to fly overhead the CT then proceed outbound on track 070 or 079 (according to aircraft category) as per the procedure, without joining the hold. Report beacon outbound to ATC.

I note that the "Racetrack" procedure is actually the ALTERNATIVE approach meant for aircraft already in the holding pattern.

As a good fall back position for you, always report overhead and what you are doing! If going into hold, say so.... if proceeding outbound, say so. As your query proves there is lots of room for pilots and ATCO's to be NOT on the same wavelength with regards to what is actually going to be flown!

DD

Leo45
16th Oct 2001, 15:31
Thanks for your answers.But now, I am a bit puzzled...To be able to go straight outbound in the procedure,you need to be within 30 degrees of the outbound track.If not,which is likely to be the case at Coventry after the M.A.procedure on RWY23,I was taught to do a parallel entry in the hold and then take up the alternative (racetrack) procedure even when ATC had cleared us for the procedure without delay.Fine by me but if you look at the AIP in the general section (if I remember well) as well as ICAO PAN OPS,you will find a description of a parallel entry in a racetrack procedure (which is not a hold entry)and I thought that it would then apply
in the case we're discussing.
As far as taking directly the base turn procedure for RWY 23 at Coventry, I thought it was only allowed if you're within 30 degrees of the outbound track.I suppose you can position the a/c for that but then you're no longer on a direct track to CT for a while in order to intercept a QDM within 30 Degrees.
Or... can you manoeuvre once you crossed CT in order to position the a/c within 30 of the outbound track for the base turn?e.g:Nil wind condition,Direct track to CT after M.A.P say 010.On passing CT 19 seconds on the same HDG
then rate one turn to the left,performing a 270 Degres turn leaving the a/c over CT on the second pass with a heading of 080 (within 30Deg of the required track,say 070).