PDA

View Full Version : RT Practical

wbryce
6th Sep 2004, 10:49
Hi,

Anyone know any decent places in Scotland to sit the RT practical?

Word of mouth has it, that theres a decent guy at East Fortune?

Any decent tips for the practical? Ive read CAP413, and im 35hrs into my PPL, so nearing the end of my training, so looking to do my RT practical now. I feel a bit lost, as I dont know what to study for.

Whats the going rate to do the RT practical?

Happy Flying

AerBabe
6th Sep 2004, 11:12
Not sure about specific places in Scotland - hasn't your instructor been able to help you with this? There have been a number of threads on the actual test itself. Try the 'Search' function at the bottom of the forum page. Good luck with the test, it's not that difficult. :ok:

wbryce
6th Sep 2004, 11:25
yea my instructor told me about the bloke in East Fortune that i mentioned.

Using the search function in this case is more complicated than other instances, since the pprune search function is limited to 3 characters minimum.

rustle
6th Sep 2004, 11:39
Using the search function in this case is more complicated than other instances, since the pprune search function is limited to 3 characters minimum.R/T

Not too difficult, and lots of threads were revealed.

murphy1901
6th Sep 2004, 11:40
I sat my RT Practical a few months ago with the guy you mention from East Fortune. He's actually an ATCO from Edinburgh.
He was very good and very fair!

I think he may be your only option at the moment. I understand that the only other examiner who covered Central Scotland is still recovering after an accident.

With regard to study, The Safety Sense leaflet on RT has all the info. you'll require for the practical exam.

Good luck :ok:

Edit: Here's a link to the SS leaflet http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/publicationdetails.asp?id=1176

AerBabe
6th Sep 2004, 11:59
the pprune search function is limited to 3 characters minimum 'Radio telephony' ;)

wbryce
6th Sep 2004, 12:06
excuse my poor eyesight, i must have missed the "/" in Radio Telephony! :}

Thanks Aerbabe, i did do a search on "Radio AND Telephony AND Practical" it came back with 3 threads, where one did give a bit of help!

Thanks Murphy for your help, will look at the SS leaflet after my lunch!

Brooklands
6th Sep 2004, 14:06
wbryce,

Another option, depending on where you are in Scotland is Inverness. I've no personal experience of the R/T training there, but the guy did manage to get the Pink Aviator (http://www.pinkaviator.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Pinkstersdiary;action=display;num=1084857198) throught her R/T :)

Brooklands

Quarto
6th Sep 2004, 15:17
You can do your R/T practical at Dundee with Tayside Aviation
(www.taysideaviation.co.uk)

grow45
6th Sep 2004, 15:23
Did mine with Colin at East Fortune as well. Very fair and approachable.

g45

bar shaker
6th Sep 2004, 16:00
Does "very fair" = gives you a b****cking for your mistakes but still passes you? ;) :ok:

Failure is certain to follow messing up the emergency calls, or changing frequencies without asking/telling. I understand that an amount of nervousness and getting the position/type/altitude info in the wrong order is normally tollerated, unless hopelessly persistant.

I had a total mental blank on what a QDM was called (I know, I know) even though I had written it on my notes in front of me.

"Q... Q... er, stanby XXXXXXX"

"QDM?" came through my headphones :ouch:

BlueLine
6th Sep 2004, 19:23
A list of Examiner details can be found at:
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_RTF_EXAMINERS.PDF
Examiners set their own charges.

grow45
6th Sep 2004, 20:14
bar shaker wrote

------------------------------------------------------------------
Does "very fair" = gives you a b****cking for your mistakes but still passes you?

----------------------------------------------------------

Good point. I suppose what I meant was he explained beforehand exactly what he expected, didn't try to put me under any undue pressure (or no more than being in a test) and was generally very pleasant as well as taking the time to give me a guided tour round the hangars after the test.

g45