PDA

View Full Version : the right size for a small airport

alby2000
5th Sep 2004, 19:20
Ciao to everyone!

I’m presently working as the sales manager of an air charter broker company with a consulting branch based in Italy. We have been asked by the president of an Italian airport to be their preferred partner to increase the number of flights laving from this specific airfield. They forwarded to our attention several requests over this summer for charter flights and executive ones. Unfortunately, the operators we contacted to operate the flights with their Citation Jet I, II, III, V, V Ultra, Hawker 700, Beechjet 400, Piaggio P180, ATR 42 and Do328 replied to our requests of quotation and availability stating that they were not able to operate due to the fact the runway was too short both for take off and for landing so they would always suggest an alternate departure.
These are the quick facts of this airport:

Rwy 04/22
TORA 1250 m
TODA 1290 m
ASDA 1250 m
LDA 1178 m (04) 923 m (22)

I just graduated from pilot school but i’m not familiar with other airplanes’ performance sheets but my Beechcraft 76’s so i would like to take this chance to ask you in your opinion what airplane would be good to fit in such an airport. Thanks in advance to everyone who’ll drop a line for me.
Brgds from Italy,

Alby

OzExpat
6th Sep 2004, 07:58
Have you asked those operators how the long the runway needs to be for their operations? If not, that would be a very good starting point. Other than that, maybe if you can tell us the elevation of this aerodrome, we might be able to answer the question, in more specific terms.

Just off the cuff, I'd have to say that, for a sea level aerodrome, the runway length needs to be in the vicinity of at least 1500 to 1700 metres. This length may not be enough for some of those types though, if you want to maximise aircraft load and fuel. To allow for the maximum operational flexibility, those types probably need something more like 2000 - 2200 metres as a minimum, but that's really just a guess until you can give us some specifics.

ecj
6th Sep 2004, 13:06
I think Saab 2000 would fit the bill although the LDA on 22 could prove to be a challenge. If it were increased to 1000m this would greatly help.

Saab 340B at a push, but I suspect with a restricted take-off mass.

Also airport fire service, runway PCN, and approach aids would also be factors to be considered.

:cool:

alby2000
6th Sep 2004, 20:16
Thank you, guys, for great help. I think this is the answer i was looking for. We want to persuade the airport to spend some money on the infrastructures before giving it away to increase traffic that can't fit in such a small rwy. If anyone wants to drop their two cents, please feel free to. Ciao
Alby

G-ANDY
6th Sep 2004, 20:26
Hi Alby,

I work for a private jet operator / broker in the UK and am continuously coming across airfields which customers want to use but are too small.

Out of curiosity, which airfield are you talking about. Do you know anything about Grossetto and when that might open again?

Cheers,

G-ANDY

mattpilot
6th Sep 2004, 23:23
How about a KingAir C90? In should be no problem, out shouldn't either if its not fully loaded.