PDA

View Full Version : QR implodes under Al Baker 'mangement'

oryxbollocks
4th Sep 2004, 20:23
The latest fatalities in the Poisoned Dwarf’s “management” of Qatar Airways reads as follows:

Sacked……Area Manager Singapore, Station Manager London, General Manager Ground Services, Admin Manager Flight Operations, General Manager Planning.

Rumour has it there’s more to come and the next one is another BIG one. Unfortunately not the dwarf himself.

So come to QR for a career. Yeah! If you’re not prepared to lick donkeys (as the Americans would say) your career in QR will be as short lived as a Qatar pilot caught not wearing his uniform cap to bed.

However, it’s not all bad news. QR has employed the ex Financial Manager of South African Airlines. According to news reports, during his tenure at South African the airline truly went ‘south’ but now QR has him managing their finances. Maybe he’ll get it right this time?

GB

part_A_
4th Sep 2004, 21:05
Well this does not sound like new news from the PD (poisoned dwarf).... but the real strange thing is firing management guys for the outmost ridiculous reasons..... I can't say what yet but son ill have to say......

Few days ago I saw a movie called HITLER the birth of a DEVIL.... I kid you NOT if you see that movie you will see that PD is very similar to Heir Hitler.....

IF YOU ARE THINKING OF COMING HERE GIVE IT A SECOND THOUGHT COZ MOST GUYS HERE ARE SHOPING..........

:}

A300Man
5th Sep 2004, 11:20
Enough is enough guys. Qatar Airways WILL have a new CEO soon. The situation has now exceeded plausible and acceptable standards of human resource deployment.

hostler
5th Sep 2004, 13:14

Hajj Man
5th Sep 2004, 13:20
Maybe AAB just is sacking some great managers before he leaves so this will make the airline fumble and faulter after his departure.

Think of it sacking Area Manager Singapore, Station Manager London, General Manager Ground Services, Admin Manager Flight Operations, General Manager Planning.

I have met these guys all and know them to be V.V.C ( very very competent). I have flown into London, Singapore and have to tell you these stations are VERY well run and ontop of the ball.

So if you were a top man in a company and you were getting ready to be sacked and you had a cruel way of doing business why not fire good hard working competent people in the airline and when you depart and the airline stars to operate with a new man on the top and the services go "DOWN THE TUBES." you can say " AHHHHH, I did a much better job than this new guy" and make yourself look good when infact all you did was pluck the airline of good managers and leave the company to sink or repair itself.

This is just my thoughts of how I have seen the mentality of some people here for the many years I have been here.

Sad, really sad, to do this to a nice airline before your departure.
INSHALLAH...............

Hajj Man

Ray Darr
5th Sep 2004, 16:33
Roumer has it that the PD did some time in the Sugar Shack recently to cool his heels. Someone with a bigger waga-waga wanted to prove a point to ol' Master Snack-Bar...and tossed his butt in the clink!

...any further tid-bits on this one?

Would love to see him on his arse. Might give the crew there a badly needed laugh. :ok:

:D :D

...Of course this is merely using the "R" of the PPRuNe name here.

ruby tuesday
6th Sep 2004, 11:29
I believe it was the 2nd Area Manager Singapore to be fired in 6 months!! Its not just AAB but GMC (MSF) as well - a great way to set up a new station - 3 Managers in 8 months!!! Those guys at QRSIN must wonder what the hell they have got themselves into....

ruby tuesday
18th Sep 2004, 12:47
Now the Area Manager Austria has gone as well as the cargo manager in Doha. A couple of regional managers on the brink...
The new commercial structure is doing so well isn't it Mr M!!! Your theory is great but not with the goons you have to work with at QR. It just ain't EK is it!!???? Hope u enjoyed your year and will spend your $ wisely.

Goldstone
24th Sep 2004, 08:56
Haven't been on here for quite a while. How good to know that nothing changes at QR!!! And that Mr Akbar .... such a nice man ... doing his very best for his airline and for the wellbeing of his staff ....

I wonder what the average length of service of management staff is at the airline? Less than a year??

The only long servers seem to be GMC ... ignorant b*****d ... and Greg. And Greg sticks it out because he actually LIKES living in Doha.

Ray Darr
24th Sep 2004, 09:54
What's the scoop re the big/little boss and his time in jail recently? It's the talk of the ramp yet nothing was in the media (or here). Maybe that might be the beginning of the end for that oh-so-little man. Once he is gone hopefully that place might be a decent environment?

Someone must be able to post down-route or when on leave!

A-300 - have you heard? Anyone else know what happened?

Zeidan
29th Sep 2004, 18:29
Not only is the famous DWARF/CHIEF destroying QR, but his ambitions have gone far beyond..
He's tearing down the whole of the tourism industry
As Chairman of Qatar Tourism Board (probably merging both organizations, employees and budget wise), 4 the past 5 months, he has succeeded in tormenting the remaining 85 out of almost 200 employees making them count their blessing each & every day that they still have their jobs
Talking about career opportunities.. QTA IS THE PLACE ;)

Bangkok Layover
1st Oct 2004, 09:12
Latest terminations :-

CSD :- Sanjeewa

CS (Trained) :- Rupok

Reason :- Unknown (as Usual)

"Taking you more personaly" :mad:

A300Man
2nd Oct 2004, 10:53
BKK

One of the names above surprises me, for obvious reasons. Seems then that no-one is safe??

I am still sure that major changes are on the way here very soon. December still a likely point in time.

Have also heard that the Company is currently grooming a "deputy CEO", or COO, whatever it is they want to call it, and that person (European guy) will be stepping into some sort of senior position at the end of the year. Let's see.

Also note that two further A332s are now here - AFL and AFM, and an A333 will arrive within the next week or so.

A300Man

homesick rae
2nd Oct 2004, 12:24
For me it is still very much a case of "I'll believe it when I see it!"

Many QR crew, past and present would dearly love to see the demise of Pinhead and Snakehead.

Cheers

HR

dupont3700
2nd Oct 2004, 18:20
sanjeeva was my housemate and rupok lived just accross from us, man that sucks. Sanjeeva was good friends with Snake though. Hope they'll be off somewhere better

Greetz

knotaloud
3rd Oct 2004, 10:59
Rumour is that yet another Manager has his marching orders. Departure next month? Will the last Manager to leave, please turn off the lights?

FCOLOVER22
3rd Oct 2004, 13:19
no offence and without being racist, but there are too many indians in qr and not to speak about filipinos ...

indians cannot be trusted and most are backstabbers and filipinos, well only 30 per cent are backstabbers but they have the problem like indians of not respecting other crew who dont come from their countries onboard as they keep speaking their language...

even when cs and csd says english onboard, sometimes if the csd or cs is from these countries they break their own rule...

QR AND QATAR SIMPLY HAS TOO MANY OF THESE PEOPLE WHO UNFORTUNATELY SEEM TO NOT VALUE THEMSELVES TOO MUCH BECAUSE THEY ARE WILLING TO WORK FOR LESS ALTHOUGH IN THE END IT IS A LOT IN THEIR COUNTRIES.

but why are most of them so annoying???

Michael calling michael!!!!

PS. NO OFFENCE, IF IT HURTS IT MUST BE TRUE!

4HolerPoler
3rd Oct 2004, 16:30
Folks, my initial reaction was to bin the above post as racist and xenophobic but then I thought I'd leave it there as a monument to the cultural divides that are endured in this region; the crass generalization of cultural groups into singular behavioral patterns.

FCOLOVER22 I'm watching you and your ilk closely; anymore racist or culturally offensive posts and you will lose all access to this site, which is something I should have probably done already.

4HP

AbuK
4th Oct 2004, 09:37
Have to fully endorse 4HP's comment.

I find it deeply shocking that those of us fortunate to live and work abroad can carry such deeply xenophobic beliefs around with them. I guess FCOLOVER22 is the sort of person that thinks all Saudis are terrorists, I wonder if you think the same about the Irish.

I value working abroad, mixing with other nationalities, different cultures and learning the language as I find it to be an enormous education in its own right.

Fortnately racist ignorami like yourself are few and far between, frankly I wish you and your kind would go home and stop giving those expats who remain a bad name.

I hesitate to think what does constitute an offence to your twisted mind.

FCOLOVER22
4th Oct 2004, 15:11
lol,

u must be those kind that supports backstabbers and people whi live with others misery if you support these kinda people....

i never said they were all the same, and they arent, but most indians are untrustable and like to go to salyas backstage office to let him know about everything we say....

mr akbar seems to be reasonable but he doesnt see the truth behind these peoples defects becaus ehe wants cheap and hard working slave labour,

in europe we dont have this kinda treatment and people are too busy with their life to have time to backstab others.

i am sick of smelly, backstabbing people, i am sick of this catering onboard who thinks everyone like indian food, even for european sectors they have byriani....

europeans normally do not like it and passengers are always complaining.... one day the gulf will be taken over by these people.....

the other day i was walking by and suddenly one of these keralites just makes the worst noise u can hear and spits on the floor, i felt so bad i almost puked.....the only reason i give them the benefit of the doubt is because they are uneducated...

But the office is full of supposed to be sub cont people who like to see others go down.....

favouritism by nationality is another issue.....lucky for them company pays all the same, otherwise my god.....they;d be doing 80 hours for peanuts....

still qr thrives with their blood...when will this end?

I am glad i am leaving .....

list 4hpole do what you want, i dont care....people are allowed in the free word to expose their opionion...if u dont like feel free to criticise but dont come threatening me that you;ll ban me because that is synonym for intolerance of opinions....

you respect me
i will respect you

if not do as u wish

i couldnt care less, sticks and stones may.....etc....

QR133
4th Oct 2004, 21:23
I do not consider myself a racist, but I feel that qr have to many Indians and phillpinos. Sometimes I feel I am walking into Air India.

I have no problem with Indians I quite like bryani myself, But it's an ARABIC AIRLINE.

I feel there should be more arabic staff or a least a balance.

If you call qr operation or switchboard or any other qr offices garantee an Indian speaker will answer you at first.

cheer up everyone it's not about racism it's about opinion and facts.

Safe Flying

AVIACO
5th Oct 2004, 06:17
The two posts above, immediately preceding this one, are entirely misplaced and not at all related to the title of the Thread.

It doesn't matter if Indians or Sri Lankans or Moroccans or Filipinos/as make up the majority of the crew workforce at Qatar Airways.

Every single one of them - just like you FCOLOVER22 - are there in the airline to do a job, earn money and, in many cases, support less fortunate families back home.

Many of them are continuing with this daily struggle in the face of sheer adversity and obstacles placed in their way by an over zealous CEO. But, they continue to work hard and try their very best.

So, whether they are Indians, Sri Lankans or whatever - whether they eat Biryani or noodles - doesn't matter a sh*t.

Please, if you want to ramble with such juvenile utterances as above, then do it in a more appropriate forum (perhaps the British National Party or Tele-Tubbies). I am a European who has worked in this business for many years and who has been closely linked with the Middle East and Asians/Arabs/Filipinos /Africans for several years.

Your comments above are a dis-credit and total embarrassment to those of us who possess a degree of tolerance for our fellow colleagues, regardless of their origins.

Safari Goat
5th Oct 2004, 07:55
dupont3700,

Quote:

"sanjeeva was my housemate and rupok lived just accross from us, man that sucks. Sanjeeva was good friends with Snake though. Hope they'll be off somewhere better

Greetz."

now the MANAGEMENT at QR will know who you are.

Did I hear an OPPS!!!!!!!!!!!!......??????????

Rule number 1: don't say things like that as the management will track you down because you have given away your identity.

Rule number 2: Always follow rule number 1.

NowHappyCCrew
5th Oct 2004, 08:16
i must say i agree with fcolover and the next post because it is quite true....

there is just too many of these people and i can reconfirm that they are backstabbers and like to dob people in to the office...

not all are like this but many are....7 outta ten!!

it would be nice for the company to take more care of other crew especially whites and stop giving all references and sympathies to them as whites rarely last as they prefer sub conts in the office.....

whos racist now???

fcolover was never racist he was just stating the facts and he has a right to post his opinion....

this is a free world....

AVIACO
5th Oct 2004, 09:33
NowHappyCCrew

I notice remarakble similarities in the style of your post and that of FCOLOVER22!! How do you know that FCOLOVER22 is male?

Are you, in fact, one in the same person???

Regardless of the fact, I am actually a "white", as you call it. But I am also appalled by the content of your and several other posts on this thread, and it has now deviated 90 degrees from the subject matter, i.e. a post about the management of the company has degenerated into a racist debate.

White or black or yellow - we are all the same matey! I would suggest that, in this part of the world in particular, you would be well advised to steer clear from comments like the ones you have made above.

Good Luck to you anyway.

Hajj Man
5th Oct 2004, 11:57
Aviaco,

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say fclover22 and nowhappyccrew are one in the same.

Same sort of mentality, punctuation and IGNORANT way of judging people, stereo typing is not nice mate/Sheila.

4holer poler I think you need to stop these guys/gals from posting for a while. put them in detention or something.

Now back to the point of the original post about the firing going on at QR.

QR will be and always will be a transient stop for people. The Ex-pat life here is great but if you do one little mess up......... HALLAS !!!!!!............. You are gone. Now it appears that if you are too smart and use a little bit of common sense and get the job done, you will also be fired. QR did not hire you to think, they only hired you to do the work the way they want it done. FOLLOW THE SOP AND YOU WILL BE OK!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't venture outside of the box and create any thing that might be GOOD or HELPFUL to the company, you will only get yourself into trouble for trying to make it better.

So I guess that the people that are being made redundant were thinkers and let the paint brush go outside the line. "STAY WITHIN THE LINES"

Trust me when I tell you that as this post implies "QR implodes under Al Baker 'management'." It is heading down that road and picking up speed with all the firing and new rules of ignorant nature being set in place.

My humble opinion as a mere pawn in the large game of chess going on in the Gulf.

HM:ok:

4HolerPoler
5th Oct 2004, 22:27
For the record, they're not the same person but they're both in Doha.

We won't be hearing from FCOLOVER22 again. Let's try and get this back on the centerline please.

4HP

homesick rae
6th Oct 2004, 13:15
4HP

Thank you for this.

Both my wife and I worked for QR and she is Filipina.

I was shocked at said person's comments.

I am completely supportive of your actions.

Cheers

HR

A300Man
6th Oct 2004, 13:21
Indeed, Homesick. Totally agree with yours and others' sentiments on this thread.

Hope you and your family are well.

A300Man

ruby tuesday
6th Oct 2004, 13:50
Hajj Man is 100% right!
If you join QR thinking you will use your experience to the benefit of the airline then forget it! They don't want your experience, just your body to fill a uniform or suit. Ability is low on the priority list when recruiting at QR.
A couple of years ago they recruited a guy to head up the german operation - despite the fact he was kicked out of his previous airline for some dodgy dealings and relying a little to heavily on the odd tipple! Another of GMC's classic appointments that went belly up (literally) after 4 months and ended up in the german courts.
In any other company it would have been GMC that was paying the price and looking for work....but no....he is still hiring n firing...one of lifes great survivors, Mr MSF, if not the most commercially gifted!

NowHappyCCrew
6th Oct 2004, 15:38
90 per cent of the people in qr are just so sad they wanna leave...whats holding them is the money.....

guys no matter fcolover22 wont be bothering you anymore cause he is leaving the company along with me and thanks to God to something more civilised....as here and opinion apperently is a racist one no matter what u say even if is not racist....

i am appaled to at your responses...

why dont you just admit he is just giving his opinion due to his experiences....

with all this you're probably wondering whether i know him, well yes and no.....not so intimate with the guy but i know the person from far...

in any case......do not get offended with the comments he wrote...get offended with the company your working for.......we are not sacks of potatoes to be thrown around and let to rot,,,this is what they do sometimes.....we r just numbers....

one goes 5 or 10 indians come or any other nationality from this side of the world....this is what they think....

i am sick of this kind of treatment...i am going back to civilisation where people have rights, unions, courts and no discrimination....

the passengers treat you like khadamas and consider u nothing more then servants at a low level....i do my job, which i am proud of, but i hate the environment here, for this reason i agree with certain views of fcolover and for this reason i am leaving ....am into my 1 month time already so i wont be bothering you anymore soon neither willl he.

soon we both will be coming here to give you the good news about living and working in the civilised world .....

then i will also tell you to which company i have gone to and to which company he has gone to.....
all i can say now is that it has just been awarded 7 prestigious awards.....by..............magazine!!!!!

anyway u guys take care and calm down, he isnt a racist he was just upset about many things, and said things without thinking... since he cant post anymore he apologises to those who misunderstood him and says he just wanted to get his point across....

p.s. no im not his spokesperson....

I WAS SAD AND NOW IM HAPPY...........NEW AIRLINE ....HERE I COME...THANKS MT GOD YHWH

AirMale777
7th Oct 2004, 18:49
From the outside QR is a fantastic company (like so many others). But from the inside, it seems a bit strange. How will AAB manage this company once it operates to 70 destinations? Will he still sign every single contract, be it for hiring a cleaning lady in Cebu, or for purchasing a computer in Rome, or renting office space in Kabul? This man must be signing contracts and stuff the whole day. This makes me wonder: who runs the company then? :confused: :confused: :uhoh:

homesick rae
8th Oct 2004, 00:28
nowsohappycc,

This is homesick rae's wife, you should never say anything about any nationalities if you don't want other people to get offended. Can you imagine if we will say something bad about your kind too? for your information, most filipinos are educated. If some Indians/filipinos are backstabbers, it's not because of their nationality but their personality. I had my fair share of bad things with AAB because of a Syrian, and Moroccans but I didn't generalize them because every person is different. We are living in the States now but still longing to be back in the Middle East because I have learned how to understand different cultures. If you complain about these nationalities, you are in the wrong job. The main reason why Akbar is hiring a lot of these nationalities is that, they have more patience than you guys.

Extend my regards to FCLOVER, I hope he'll have peace in his next job.

Thanks,
Mrs. HR

STOKKEN
8th Oct 2004, 08:48
I hear that the Manager of Flight Operations is Leaving QR as well. A real decent honest guy called 'D. L." Now not sure of the story here but if there was anyone at that company who was for the pilots and a good guy it was him. Mr. AAB I think you should get down on your knees and beg him to stay. He was indeed a light at the end of a very dark tunnel. Wherever you go though MR DL........ I know that I as well as others wish you all the very best of luck. Many will be sad to see you go.......

Hajj Man
9th Oct 2004, 18:13
Yeah Stokken,

MR D.L got sacked a couple of months ago I think and he is in his last "3 months" of service with the company. The three month notice thing.

Did you know that guy would be one of the first into the office on a day and one of the last to leave at the end of the day?

Did you know that he also use to come in on a Friday and Saturday to do work ( for those of you who don't know, Friday and Saturday are days off here in Qatar)

Did you know that AAB fired him?

Did you know that this guy has had the hiring department at QR in full swing and doing a FANTASTIC Job ever since he joined the company?

Did you know that he was very well respected in his previous airline and was looked upon as a "TEAM PLAYER?" and a person who could "GET THE JOB DONE"

Did you know that he is a very soft spoken, gentle man who has the disposition that would not hurt a fly? Really and truly.

Well I have seen this guy in his office everytime I go to work and he is always at his desk doing something. If you call him and ask a question, he returns your call right away and has an answer for you ASAP.

If ever there was a person at QR you could count on, DL was the man. He is a FIRST CLASS INDIVIDUAL and does/did a good job even up to today after he has been sacked.

Sorry to see him go.

ruby tuesday
9th Oct 2004, 20:04
Was D.L. ex SQ and used to negotiate the crew hotels?
What got him the chop? As you say all my dealings with him were top class....but all the things you describe him as is no guarantee on job security....sadly...otherwise more good people would still be on the QR payroll.....

Hajj Man
10th Oct 2004, 06:24
Yes he was ex-SQ.

Sadly being a nice guy at QR will not save you on the job.

I Think I know why he was sacked, but I don't want to say incase I am wrong. But if what I heard is correct, It was NO REASON to sack him. All that was needed to be done was a little investigation and see that it was not a good reason.

The trouble with all the sacking here is that only the one side of the story is told and the person being sacked has no say as to why,when,where and how they did what they did. The AXE falls and you are out.

Just put on your puppet strings and when the string is pulled, you move. THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE HERE..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....

ruby tuesday
10th Oct 2004, 21:11
Yes they thought I was one of their puppets until they pulled one string and I didn't move accordingly - I paid the ultimate price within 48hrs for revoking puppet status - but it was probably a blessing in disguise as things seem to have deteriorated for QR considerably since I moved on....for me the opposite!

princessslisa
24th Oct 2004, 21:39
...not to speak about totally incompetent people who work at the ticketing: I once wanted to book a flight to Pisa (Italy), did the spelling too since they wanted to send me to "Pizza" (God save us!) and found myself with a ticket to Peshawar!!!

Incredible! And then PD sacks people just because they're not wearing their hats properly...

Banzai Eagle
3rd Nov 2004, 12:26
I have applied for on of the Flight Ops Admin positions at QA. Is it worth it given post that previous occupant was given the bullet?.

princessslisa
3rd Nov 2004, 18:42
My dear friend, stay away from QR and the PD (Al Baker) as much as you can, it's real hell!!!

Good luck :ok:

qsyenroute
4th Nov 2004, 21:15
So refreshing to hear that some things never change.....Circa 1977, yours truly was a young ATCO with IAL in Doha-ha. I seem to recall then MR A was the owner of a Baby shop in the high street. He rented out his upstairs flat as a drinking den to the IAL ATCO's. Congratulations to IAL station manager, Mr Bob Trembath...you bet on the right man Bob!!!

princessslisa
5th Nov 2004, 18:14
Oh Gosh!!!

And did you know that he’s not actually Qatari by birth??? He’s Indian and so is his mother, who was a widow and re-married (this time around with a Qatari) and he has adopted PD.

Bangkok Layover
6th Nov 2004, 15:28
..............and Educated,Financed by Alfardan!

princessslisa
6th Nov 2004, 20:50
Of course! Maybe that's why they were incriminated and went to jail together, although Al Fardan was there for longer... no wonder why we haven't seen PD for a very long time at Al Fardan building (where QTA has its offices) after the case exploded .

qsyenroute
8th Nov 2004, 17:51
Princess - I think he is the son of an Iranian slave. Many thousands were brought over from Iran in the early C20th.

He does speak Farsi

Could be why he has such a big chip on his shoulder..