PDA

View Full Version : Hoping to finish my last 25 hours!

Big Cheese1
4th Sep 2004, 14:47
Hi all

I'm basically enquiring about local flying clubs around my area. I live in Croydon, South London, and it looks like my nearest would be Biggin Hill, however, I'm also aware that it can be quite expensive there aswell.

My background is a royal air force flying scholarship with 20 hours total on C152's including 4hrs20min solo. I went solo in 7hrs5mins, though this was all back in the summer of 2000.

Undoubtedly I'll need a recap, though I've been told that the only thing void from my cholarship would be my exams, which were human perf, aircraft techical, and air law.

So basically guys and gals, I'm open to suggestions of places cheap, but value for money within the local area.

I've also considered finishing it abroad, notably the US. If anyone knows of any good flying schools that they've had experience with, I'd love to hear more about them.

Thanks everyone

safe flying!

Genghis the Engineer
4th Sep 2004, 17:33
If you are looking to finish off as cheaply as possible, and already have a reasonable grounding in flying within the UK, you might find going to the USA worthwhile. I'd personally recommend Florida - somewhere like OBA, Britannia, etc. but budget for a couple of hours "UK refamil" somewhere when you get back - probably at whatever club you'll be doing your main flying.

The C150 or C152 are usually the cheapest training or rental machines in the US, so stick with that. If you're going to convert to something else, do that post licence, possibly during your uk refamil once you're back.

Just my 2pennorth.

G

skydriller
4th Sep 2004, 18:34
Not sure if Id recomend Florida NOW !! Might be a bit windy!!

Regards, SD..

Big Cheese1
4th Sep 2004, 18:38
Cheers Ghengis

I had looked at Orlando flight training ,and Ilearning to fly in florida does sound good, with a few famil flights backin the UK. Wouldn't mind trying to convert to something with a bit more kick, a 172 or something simalar I guess.

I'll have a look at the clubs you suggested.

Cheers:ok:

p.s.skydriller, excellent training for spins etc surely!!:}

Genghis the Engineer
4th Sep 2004, 21:35
Trust me on this, once you're qualified there are many more exciting aeroplanes that the products of Mr Cessna or even Mr Piper.

Try something like a Bulldog, or see if you can get a Europa share.

G

Big Cheese1
4th Sep 2004, 22:10
Good point!!

Many a time I've had a jolly or twelve in a bulldog within the ATC.

Cheers for your advice so far Ghengis!!

Much appreciated.

S-Works
5th Sep 2004, 20:24
I would hope they are not your last 25hrs but rather your next 25..... :ok:

Big Cheese1
6th Sep 2004, 17:39
bose-x, Me too!!!:} :uhoh: