PDA

View Full Version : A NERC question

Numpo-Nigit
5th Oct 2000, 01:03
Does anybody else remember many, many years ago when CC, our illustrious new leader, was head of the section identifying potential sites for NERC? At the time, a list of essential requirements for any suitable site was published. I can only recall one of those essential items - the ability to have two or more, totally independent, supplies of mains electricity. After problems at LATCC, that seemed a very sensible idea.

So how come that NERC has only one source of mains electricity? And, how come that only now, four years after the intended O-date, are there negotiations with Southern Electricity to provide a second source? Even a Tesco Superstore will have several sources of mains power. Perhaps ATC is less demanding than packs of frozen peas!!!

cleared2land 27left
5th Oct 2000, 01:21
Ah but you forget, frozen peas show some form of usefulness, whereas Nerc does not.

Mr Chips
5th Oct 2000, 03:14
I heard a rumour.....
NERC generates power in an emergency, and could in fact sell the power if it wanted - except it can't 'cos we didn't pay 59p (or whatever) extra for the relevant part.

Just a rumour you understand.

Now, have the NTT boys stopped throwing the artificial beach into the lake, and stopped bringing in their garden waste thus disrupting the measuring of compost? Those two are both true!

Blame_NERC
7th Oct 2000, 00:59
NN - Don't worry

Between NERCs Southern Electric connection, Emergency generators and several of the biggest UPS you have every seen, I think the only thing ATC will have to worry about during a power failure is where to get their coffee :)

POMPI
8th Oct 2000, 13:42
The Generators are NEI Allen (part of Rolls Royce)there are two of them and the silver chimney things that you can see from the road are their exhausts. If memory serves me correctly, each one of them delivers 6Mw. So that one of them provides twice as much power as the NERC site would require in emergency mode.
Just thought you might be interested !.

Blame_NERC you don't work for "a rolling stone gathers no ....." by any chance do you.

Numpo-Nigit
8th Oct 2000, 20:32
Thanks for the info guys. I didn't really believe we were running on a 13amp socket and a couple of PP3 batteries as back-up!!! However, nobody has actually answered my original questions. Why, when the original requirement advocated dual mains supplies, are we running on one, and why are we NOW suddenly looking to implement the original idea?

Blame_NERC
9th Oct 2000, 00:36
NN - I doubt if 2 Southern Electirc feeds would be any good. The most likely cause of a failure of SE power is a failure in the grid - both connections would have died at the same time.

So there would be nothing to be gained from having a 2nd Power feed.

There is a change being implemented at the moment dealing with power but I thought it was internal arrangements only. I suspect this is what you are thinking about.

I don't want to discuss too much more in an open forum, if you see what I mean

POMPI - No, I don't work for you know who.