PDA

View Full Version : National Aerobatic Championships - Sywell(MERGED).

Halfbaked_Boy
2nd Sep 2004, 12:36
Hello chaps!

Anyone going to be attending the British Aerobatic Championships at Sywell: today/tomorrow and Saturday? As it is taking place at my home airfield I shall certainly be there one of the days!

Rgrds,

Jack.

ACW 335
2nd Sep 2004, 13:19
Yeah if its free to spectate!

Halfbaked_Boy
2nd Sep 2004, 13:29
I do believe it is! :)

stiknruda
2nd Sep 2004, 16:23
Spectating is of course free. You'll find lots of us aeros pilots there just to watch. If you are interested in learning more go and speak to them - most competitors would prefer that you didn't bother them during the comp as the concentration required to work out how to fly the unknown sequences is very intense.

The spectators in th eknow are generally happy to share their pasin with you. ACW - you ought to go ;-)

Stik

not going - harvest then Jolly Pitts Boys w/e in France - seven of us departing Lydd Sat at 1130 local

ACW 335
2nd Sep 2004, 16:52
Stik - I am!
Draggin mum along too!

PS - Aiming for a spring debut as uni has made this year too difficult. :p

Halfbaked_Boy
2nd Sep 2004, 16:54
ACW, what day are you planning to come up here? I'll have to say hi! :)

ACW 335
2nd Sep 2004, 16:56
Sat..i won't be flying in as it's the Revival at GWC...; so it will be a nice 2.5 hours in the car!

ncbcisis
2nd Sep 2004, 18:10
Hi All,

Sorry to note that Stik's off to France; I'm hoping to pop up from London on Saturday; My first event to watch.

Hoping to commence the AOPA aeros 10 hours course this week coming.

Any general pointers etc - much appreciated.

Kind regards,

NCBCISIS

stiknruda
2nd Sep 2004, 21:53
ACW - if I don't go to France and you see me pitching up at Sywell, please introduce me to your mum!

Much more my age, I'm afraid;)

w/e wx looks great for both Sywell and 7 chaps with 14 wings going off to commemorate the Abbeville boys heroism of sixty years ago.

Stik

G-KEST
2nd Sep 2004, 22:17
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want a real chance to see the finest aerobatic pilots in the UK and some really cutting edge aerobatic aeroplanes for FREE then why not go to the BAeA National Advanced and Unlimited Championships at Sywell, Northampton on Friday 3rd and Saturday 4th September.
There is a fine public enclosure right on the corner of the aerobatic box and the base height is but 100 metres so you can really experience seeing some fantastic flying for FREE. Flying is intended to commence at 0900 on Friday and probably the same on Saturday.
There are some fabulous photo opportunities especially if you have a 200mm lens as the aircraft are parked quite close to the fence.
The BAeA has provided information leaflets to enable folk to follow what is happening and to give you a taste of what this aviation sport is all about.
Come on folks it is FREE. And it certainly beats some airshows hollow for sheer spectacle.
I had a magic day today, Thursday, and it was FREE.
Cheers,
Trapper 69
PS - You can see just what an aerobatic pilot Denny Dobson really is if you come and watch the REAL experts.
PPS - Spent around a fiver on far too much excellent coffee in the fantastic art deco restaurant and bar so that was not FREE but everything else was.

FlyFreeWbe
2nd Sep 2004, 22:23
Hmm, am wanting to try out that restaurant :p
Didn't realise it was free, was juggling between Sywell or Duxford this weekend, but im flying tomorrow so could pop to see both from above. I've never been to an aerobatic competition, do you get to talk to all the pilots and have a look at their aircraft? That would be excellent!

ACW 335
3rd Sep 2004, 08:03
Sorry, did someone just write denny dobson and aerobatics in the same sentence!?

Monocock
3rd Sep 2004, 08:40
Stik

Have you finished 'bining already?

I can't believe the OSR is all in too??

Lowtimer
3rd Sep 2004, 08:56
I'll be along for a while Saturday afternoon with 10 year old aeroplane-mad daughter for a bit of spectating (she calls herself Notimer, but that isn't quite true any more :-) and if we can arrange safe departure / arrival slots to fit with the competition am aiming to take her for a ride in the Cub later on.

stiknruda
3rd Sep 2004, 10:15
Mono - no we've not finished! We did most of the OSR first, harrowed it and sprayed it .

Ploughman is busy as I type. We have been VERY VERY wet and he's just catching up!

They've not finished, I have. RHIP and all that! I'd say that we are about 60% done - combiners around here worked well past pub closing time for the past two nights!

Stik

FlyFreeWbe
3rd Sep 2004, 12:34
Looks like I can't make any days for Sywell chaps..this license thing is catching up with me ;) Might catch duxford on Sunday

FFW

G-KEST
3rd Sep 2004, 16:58
Someone asked about slots to fly in and out. No slots - no problems. Just plan for a procedural join as the overhead just might be occupied with a guy concentrating on high energy and G aerobatics up to 3,500 feet agl. This in a 1000 metre cube centred on the runway 03/21.

Probably the best plan is to route to Pitsford reservoir some three miles west and join from there at circuit height but the AFISO will give you definate information on 122.700 MHz.

On departure then leave climbing out and do not climb into the overhead for the same reasons.

Today, Friday, was shopping day in Stamford and Peterborough so missed out on Sywell however the weather must have been perfect for the contest. It continues tomorrow, Saturday, and who knows who will triumph as the new National Unlimited and Advanced aerobatic champions?

Cheers,

Trapper 69

G-KEST
4th Sep 2004, 21:16
Well its over for yet another year. The 2004 champions are as follows -
Unlimited
1st Tom Cassells - that taciturn Yorkshireman in a CAP 232
2nd Mark Jefferies - a true man of the soil in his Elite Extra 300S
3rd Gerald Cooper - aerial photographer and my namesake restorer extraordinaire in another CAP 232.
Advanced
1st Mark Walden - every womans dream of a pilot in his CAP222
2nd Garry Ferriman - garagiste fantastique in his Super Stinker Pitts S1-11
3rd - Tim Jenkinson - from the worlds favourite airline in his utterly immaculate and colourful Pitts S1 (modified)
The winner of the "David Perrin" trophy for the four minute freestyle was Mark Jefferies in the Elite Extra 300S
The start was delayed due to a wait for the cloud cover to break and then lift clear of the box so flying did not start until after 1200 however the afternoon saw non stop aerobatics of a very high order.
There were loads of folk there to enjoy the occasion.
Cheers,
Trapper 69
:cool:

The Mad Russian
5th Sep 2004, 10:13
A truly amazing spectacle to see the UK’s finest aerobatic pilots flying some top class machinery (CAP 232 I want one…!!)

Thought the standard of flying was exceptional, I watched in ore (and a little envy!) as these guys stopped various gyro figures precisely where they wanted… all good stuff.

Question? Why is this sport is not promoted better?? It is undoubtly very exciting and varied to watch, makes other ground based motorsports look dull by comparison!!

Could it not be televised, the freestyle particularly would make for exciting television? This would encourage a little more sponsorship in the sport (I think only one unlimited competitor carried sponsorship) creating an even more varied field of competitors?

Aerobatics are a great sport (and statistically safe for both the pilots and public) that seems to be sadly under promoted.

Mind you if all the general public have ever seen is Denny Dobson then I could understand why people might consider aerobatic flight... imprecise, dull and potentially dangerous… Anyone who was at Sywell yesterday would know that aerobatics flown well are a true art form…

Come on all you advertising and marketing gurus out there…. Is this sport not a great arena to promote your exciting and dynamic products and if not why not?? After all it is a form of airborne Formula One…

Maxflyer
5th Sep 2004, 10:30
I too enjoyed the aeros yesterday, but as someone with no knowledge of the moves being performed, it would have been nice to have had someone using a pa to give an idea of what move was what, g being pulled etc.

G-KEST
5th Sep 2004, 22:06
Many thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I will try to let the committee of the BAeA have them in the near future for possible rectification in 2005.
To all who came my thanks as our sport really is a great way of turning avgas into adrenaline. But it really does need more positive exposure and especially sponsorship.
How on earth DD gets such a level of sponsorship while, to the best of my knowledge having just a PPL beats me.
Cheers,
Trapper 69
:*

CTAviation
6th Sep 2004, 18:04
If DD appears low over our village again "practising showing off" he will have more than a PPL

S-Works
6th Sep 2004, 18:11
The man is a "common british house bird" full stop. A talentless show off with no respect for his peers, small man syndrome and an ego to match. Dont even start me on the smoke on the ground at old buck or the illegal practicing over the village.

Thank god for the respectable pilots who strutted there stuff at the weekend yet still manage to show consideration for the non aviators and respect for there peers.

ACW 335
7th Sep 2004, 17:06
he is about as popular as a rattlesnake in a lucky dip in the world of aerobatics (yes, the version which require skill).

Zlin526
7th Sep 2004, 20:45
I wonder how the esteemed gentleman would fare at a pukka BAeA aeros comp?:ooh:

But let's face it guys, an aeros ace he ain't, but the great unwashed public at the village fetes obviously don't give a hoot 'cos they keep booking him!:{

It just goes to show that you don't have to be an aeros ace to thrill the crowds, just make some noise, make some smoke and don't crash!:E

javelin
9th Sep 2004, 21:15
taciturn

\Tac"i*turn\, a. [L. taciturnus: cf. F. taciturne. See Tacit.] Habitually silent; not given to converse; not apt to talk or speak. -- Tac"i*turn*ly, adv

Now our Tom is hardly that !

Just back from Lithuania where he was top Brit, he now whoops the asses of the rest to take the British Championship.

Long live Yarksheer

:ok: