PDA

View Full Version : EGBP - 040912

sharpshot
2nd Sep 2004, 11:39
Check out their website for event on date above.
Landing Fees:ok: :ok:

Kemble Website. (http://www.kemble.com/)

Edited to add link.

FullyFlapped
2nd Sep 2004, 15:23
Got to be honest, I'd be more willing to charge off and have a butchers if I knew where EGBP was without having to look it up ... I know we're all supposed to know every ICAO ident, but I'm afraid life's too short !

Flying recently, I overheard a keen "man of letters" asking for a RIS. Conversation as follows :-

Pilot : G-XXX ... routing EGNM to EGMH ... blah blah .. request RIS
ATC : Say your destination in the clear please, I'm busy ...
Pilot : Destination is E-G-M-H ...
ATC : I'm extremely busy, please say your destination IN THE CLEAR !
Pilot : Sorry, think we must have a radio problem, I'll say it again more slowly , we're going to E - G - M - H !
ATC (in unbelievably pissed-off voice) : OK G-XXXX, stand by, I'll call you back when I get time ...

FF :ok:

englishal
2nd Sep 2004, 15:29
Must be Kemble as I've got it in my mobile phone :D

WorkingHard
2nd Sep 2004, 19:32
Fully Flapped - have to agree. I raised this in a topic some time ago and was promptly "shot down" from all directions for not knowing the airfield codes. Perhaps too many "anoraks" frequent these pages!
The best advice is to just ignore such threads.

Charlie Zulu
2nd Sep 2004, 21:09
Its easy to know the letters now as they are now next to the airfield on the CAA charts...

BUT I really wish people would use plain english when speaking to ATC just as FullyFlapped demonstrates in his post.

Makes everything so much easier to understand, not just for the controllers but for other aircraft in the vicinity!!! If then ATC asks if you know the ICAO code off hand then so be it. But I've not been asked yet.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

High Wing Drifter
2nd Sep 2004, 21:13
Thanks for the info sharpshot. Might just be a good first fly-in :ok:

dublinpilot
3rd Sep 2004, 08:58
CZ,

It's all very well the code being on the chart, but you have to know where to look on the chart in the first place, and which chart to look on! :p

dp

Charlie Zulu
3rd Sep 2004, 09:01
Temple Bar Pilot,

I shouldn't have put the first line into my post above, I didn't mean for it to sound the way it did. Oops.

Best wishes,

Cardiff Bars Pilot.

Flyin'Dutch'
3rd Sep 2004, 09:03
The codes serve a purpose which was demonstrated again 2 weeks ago.

I was on a IFR flight plan to Bournemouth and the FISO at my departure field thought I was going to Bourn.

No big deal but delayed the IFR clearance etc etc.

There are more difficult things to master when learning to fly than a few airfield codes.

Not only are they now on the charts but there are also alphabetic tables with both codes and airfields in every flight guide.

FD

FullyFlapped
3rd Sep 2004, 10:01
Couldn't agree more, 'Dutch, but there's a time and a place for everything, don't you think ?

Anyway, must dash, need to go ask Mrs. FF if she'd fancy a trip to EGEO this weekend ... must remember to pass her the Pooleys and the half mill just in case she's not on the ball ... :p

Classic
3rd Sep 2004, 10:33
Just for info...

Ref the Open Day at Kemble (EGBP) on the 12th Sep, I noticed in September's Pilot mag that their Diary Dates show the event to have been postponed to 2-3 October.

This is a mistake and the event is still on as planned - I just called Kemble to confirm that . It's the microlight fly in on the 25th Sep which has been delayed to October.

Three Mile Final
3rd Sep 2004, 12:15
I really don't understand why folk have to use codes and TLA's so much. I suspect they think it makes them sound more knowledgeble but why bother if all it does is confuse us peasants(there are admittedly per Bourn and B'mouth occasionally good reasons but not very often) ..... if an ATCO doesn't know the ICAO for an airfield within 50 miles what chance have the rest of us got ???

I much prefer to say G-BSBA Fairoaks to Cambridge than EGTF to EGSC

I find this with monoytonous regularity on the more "professional" part of PPRuNE where airfields are generally refered to by their three letter code by men with big aeroplanes.

All it does for me (who rarely ventures that far afield) is leave me confused as to what the thread is about. Please folks, think about those of us who don't carry a list of TLAs about !!!

This weekend I'm of to the former RAF Westhampnett ... also known as EGHR.

Classic
3rd Sep 2004, 12:48
I think it's easier for ATC and for other pilots to understand your routing if you refer to airfields by their name, as no-one has an encyclopaedic memory for codes.

The only time the 4 letter ICAO code seems necessary is when discussing Flight Plans with ATC as that is what they will have written in front of them.

Have the ICAO codes over the RT become more prevalent as the use of GPSs and their ICAO databases has increased?

sharpshot
3rd Sep 2004, 13:04
High Wing Drifter

Thanks - hope you have a nice day. There was a lot of moaning about the cost of fees and Kemble was included, so I thought I would just bring it to everyone's attention, that they were actually giving something back [B]Free Landing Fees All day

To the remainder
I was busy the other day, so topic and comment was kept brief.

And 3 letter codes are for IATA bag tags.

I do wonder how some even manage to find the cockpit door :{

FullyFlapped
3rd Sep 2004, 14:48
Sharpshot - sorry mate, didn't mean to have a go at you, or initiate a general rant !

Hope you enjoy Kemble !

sharpshot
5th Sep 2004, 19:36
Well FF

Hope Mrs FF enjoyed wherever it was!:confused:

SS