PDA

View Full Version : AFISO

Malteser
10th Oct 2001, 01:17
Dear all, I'm working as a co-pilot in a large british airline, abd given our current situation, it's prompted me to get on with something I've thought about for a while. Thinking of doing my AFISO exams, but I was wondering - are there many places - aerodromes etc. - which are in need of a part-time AFISO these days?

Another ATC question, which some of my colleagues in LATCC have unofficially answered already, but do you want us to call level when on the way out and in of the TMA specifically, reaching 200 and above...?

You see, I don't reckon you do,judging by the bored tone of reply we receive, and the fact that you can see us anyway.... so I never call level, but I can't seem to convince some skippers....

Squadgy
11th Oct 2001, 02:27
Hi Malteser

There are plenty of airfields around London operating FIS. Staff are FISOs (Aerodrome) (AFISO is old terminology).

Outside of London, Oxford provide FIS at weekend, and Duxford, Northampton and Barton are FIS full time, as well as one or two more. In Scotland a lot if the island airfields are FIS.

Halfpenny Green (sorry... Wolverhampton International Business Airport!), are presently FIS but are upgrading to ATC to handle instrument approaches.

A lot of airfields offering FIS use part-time staff. My units policy is to ask new staff to do their writtens and then offer the 40 hours validation training, followed by a part time job if a position is free.

Cheers