PDA

View Full Version : ATC Logo Wanted

PPRuNe Radar
9th Oct 2001, 16:00
This e-mail was recieved at PPRuNe HQ. Can anyone help out ?? The e-mail address is at the bottom of the mail, or replies can be forwarded through me.

I have an unusual request and hope some one at this address can help me.

Our dear son in law, Darrel Hensley, passed away on Aug 4 2001 after a courageous battle with kidney cancer.

He was an air traffic controller in the Los Alimitos CA tower on the military base. I had the honor of spending some time in the tower with him and was really impressed with his talents and his dedication to his job. I know he will be missed by many pilots although few met him personally. His professionalism was awesome.

The reason I am contacting you is that I am making a couple flag cases for the flags that were used in his military rites. ( He had two - one in CA and one in Wichita where he was interned.)

Now the unusual request. I am planning on etching his name and dates on the glass in the flag cases and would also love to etch and emblem that would indicate his first love which was his profession as an air traffic controller. I was wondering if there is a universal symbol for air traffic controllers that would be approprtate to etch on the flag case? I have seen one that is for those belonging to the union but I don't think he was a member when he passed away.

He got his initial training when he volunteered for the army fresh our of High School. He spent his military tour of duty as an air traffic controller in Korea.His next position was at the Ohara unit and that is where he was when Regan fired all of them. At that time took the position as a civilian in the Los Alamitos military base tower which is where he was when he passed away.

I would like to do something special for his memory and to etch a symbol of his profession on the flag cases would be a way of doing that in my humble opinion.

If you could help me by telling me if there is a symbol of this nature and where I could get a copy to reproduce on the flag cases,I would be very grateful.

I have considered the one that the union has and just deleting the letters from it since it depitcs a controll tower.

Do you think that would be appropriate? Or is there something else that you feel would be more appropriate? Your help and suggestions would be greately appreciated.
Thank you

Richard B. Hyde
Elkader, Iowa

[email protected]

MASOR Monkey
10th Oct 2001, 02:03
Hi Richard,

The Royal Air Force air traffic controllers use a winged shepherds crook as their emblem. 'Shepherds of the Skies' sort of metaphor. I could mail you an example if you wish.

Rgds,
MM

ATC Watcher
10th Oct 2001, 19:30
I can think of the IFATCA 50 years old logo with the TWR and 2 wings is universal but it has aged a bit. I personally always liked the symbol of the Austrian controllers Association ( an aircraft sitting on an open hand) check www.ifatca.org (http://www.ifatca.org) website to visualise and get ideas.

RATBOY
11th Oct 2001, 19:09
Being that he controlled at a Naval air facility a look at the U.S. Navy AIr Controller rating badge, though he wasn't serving military at the time might be appropriate. I believe it is a fairly plain vanilla letters AC in a round shield with wings either side.

Scott Voigt
14th Oct 2001, 09:54
Actually the AC wings are Air Crew wings. The Navy AC rating badge is a pair of wings with an old radio mike in between... The Air Force has a wreath with a tower in the middle... I don't know what the Army has..

regards

chiglet
14th Oct 2001, 21:44
208 sqn [RAF] had a "winged eye" motto 'Penetrate'
Perhaps "something" similar..motto 'Watchful'
Replace eye with a Radar?????perhaps
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

RATBOY
16th Oct 2001, 17:16
Scott: I stand corrected, just found it on a Navy web site. Somebody at ATCA has one of the microphones, I think.