PDA

View Full Version : Diamond DA42 TwinStar

Speedbird744
1st Sep 2004, 13:30
Anyone have any idea how many DA42s are currently flying in the UK at present?
Are there any private operators/flying clubs offering this aircraft for rental to multi rated pilots?
I appreciate it is a still a very young aircraft, but the prospect of diesel engines controlled by FADEC is promising, any other light aircraft in the UK using the Centurion 1.7 engine?

thanks
s744

skydriller
1st Sep 2004, 14:55
Had a demonstrator come to our Fly-in/Jour Portes Ouverts in June. Was most impressed at how quiet it was from outside and inside, and the really spacious cabin for 4, both for the front and back seat pilots/pax - plus the single lever FADEC control is really cool.

Regards, SD..

IO540
1st Sep 2004, 19:41
Is the DA42 being delivered to customers? That would amaze me, looking at the slightly rough prototype which has been going around the airshows as of very recently. They had a lot of avionics integration to do, for starters.

Charlie Zulu
1st Sep 2004, 22:17
Ahhh.... Diamond Stars...

Just been test flying one today myself up at Gamston. Fantastic day out.

Oh yes we went up to Gamston as my mate is expecting his new one to be delivered in six weeks or so and thought it would be good for me to test fly the aeroplane considering I'm going to be flying the aeroplane also.

An absolute delight to fly, can't wait until October!

Flying along at 3,000' and 130 knots IAS at 85% power with a fuel burn of just under 6 Gallons of Avtur an hour (£7/8)... yes please! :D

If the DA42 Twin Star handles anything like the DA40 then Diamond are on a sure winner (yes we are going to test fly that when they get the demonstration model as my friend is looking to buy one of those as well).

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

DubTrub
2nd Sep 2004, 00:28
skydriller
Hope the twin star has two levers...:O

S-Works
2nd Sep 2004, 10:49
As far as I know there are no DA42 Twinstars delivered yet. In fact the POH has not even be completed for them. They were first promised for delivery in March and then this month which looks like it is going to be missed as well.

AFT at Coventry are waiting for 2 for MEP IFR training and the have had a few delivery dates missed.

Dusty_B
2nd Sep 2004, 14:21
Latest info from Diamond arrived in the post last week.

There probably won't be any DA42's delivered to the UK until well into next year. ALL of the aircraft ordered by UK customers to date have been with the TKS anti-icing system, which won't be available until the spring.

distaff_beancounter
2nd Sep 2004, 21:24
There is quite a lot of info on Diamond's website at:-

http://www.diamond-air.at/en/index.htm

There are some good pictures including interiors, so DubTrub it does look as there are 2 levers! :)

The website says that the DA42 was certified by EASA on 13th May 2004, but does that mean that the CAA has now certified it for the UK?

Has the CAA approved it for training for an initial MEP class rating? And if so would an MEP rating obtained on a DA42 permit the pilot to fly the usual old style light twins such as Seneca, Seminole, Cougar, Duchesse etc. Or is it like a car drivers licence, where an initial test on a automatic does not give a licence to drive a manual gearbox car?

As the DA42 ONLY has the 2 levers, does it allow the student to learn about VP props? (& how to drive the instructor potty by the constant woo-woos from out of sync props!)

Am I right in assuming that, on the DA42, in the event of one engine failing that it auto-feathers, with no action required by the pilot?

From an instructor's or examiner's viewpoint, how easy is it to simulate engine failures and teach/test pilots on handling that and assymetric flight? Are the Thielert engines happy to be closed down in the cruise? And, more importantly, then easy to restart after cooling down?

So, while the DA42 looks potentially superb as a tourer or as a privately owned aircraft, will it make an ideal trainer for MEP or ME/IR? :confused:

Dusty_B
3rd Sep 2004, 10:16
The official line is that "Differences Training" will be required:

See CAP601 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP601.PDF)

In the Forward:
Para4. Advanced Twin Piston Aeroplanes
As this document goes into print, the first of a series of advanced twin piston training
aeroplanes are about to roll off the production line. They contain Electronic Flight
Instrument System (EFIS) displays and enjoy single lever, engine operation, with
automatic feathering facilities. It is inevitable that such aeroplanes will be used for
initial training in a short space of time. Their operation may well be much simpler than
that of a conventional twin piston aeroplane, which leaves the student in a vulnerable
position when reverting back to a more conventional aeroplane. The MEP syllabus is
based upon the theory of conventional aeroplane operation and should not be over
simplified because of the advance in technology. It is important that the MEP training
course emphasises the theoretical differences between conventional and advanced
systems. Specific differences training will be required before the holder of a MEP
class rating can exercise the privileges of the rating on an aeroplane that is
significantly different. Such training must include airborne operation and be endorsed
by a suitably qualified instructor.

distaff_beancounter
3rd Sep 2004, 12:29
Dusty_B Thanks for that info, it answers most of my questions :)

Presumably if the holder of a current MEP done on a 'conventional' light twin, wants to fly a DA42, there would be some "difference training", but perhaps this would just be the techie stuff and an hour or two in the air?

In which case, which would be cheaper (or safer) route now?

== Do the MEP course+test on a DA42, followed by "difference training" on a conventional twin?

== Or, the other way around?

Unless the ONLY twin that the pilot wanted to fly was a DA42, then I would guess that it would take less hours & be cheaper to do the training+test on the conventional twin, first.

Has any Ppruner actually flown a DA42 yet?

Brooklands
3rd Sep 2004, 12:51
The DA42 recently flew back non-stop from Oshkosh, taking 12.5 hours. There's an article about the flight here (http://www.aero-news.net/news/genav.cfm?ContentBlockID=2738ea08-4ea6-47fd-ab12-3c03f46be731&Dynamic=1)

Brooklands

Speedbird744
3rd Sep 2004, 13:22
The DA42 has a 700FPM single engine climb performance!

I don't think its a good decision to do an initial MEP Rating on an EFIS equipped twin. But as a tourer, its a twin at the same cost as a complex single, and has that sexy elegant look to it.

Reminds me of the Cessna 310.

englishal
3rd Sep 2004, 14:48
Presumably if the holder of a current MEP done on a 'conventional' light twin, wants to fly a DA42, there would be some "difference training", but perhaps this would just be the techie stuff and an hour or two in the air?
Don't see why any "formal" training should be required, though it'd be wise. I suppose its a similar situation to the centre line thrust twins, anyone with a ME rating can fly them, yet if you did the ME training on a CLT aircraft you can't fly any old twin.

Would make an excellent airline-candidate training aircraft, wot with the glass cockpit an all.....(and a bloody good fun machine to own / fly):D