PDA

View Full Version : Have you built a Zenair701 ?

one2go
31st Aug 2004, 17:18
I am thinking about buying a Quick build or 49% kit for a Zenair 701SP. It would be the first build that I have undertaken. I’ve got the UK dealers contact details and will be giving him a call but I’d appreciate info from anyone out there who has done it before?

Is it a realistic project for me to get into? How many hours did it take you. How much did it cost – and what spec did that give you. Do you like the end result! Have you any advice that you would give someone starting out, if only I’d known/done that etc. Are there any requirements that are specific to the UK that I need to factor into the cost? Its the STOL that especially interests me, if not a 701 then any other recommendations? Cheers

Flyin'Dutch'
1st Sep 2004, 00:26
Have you tried looking at the PFA website?

If not try this link to their website (www.pfa.org.uk).

Have fun!

FD

Genghis the Engineer
1st Sep 2004, 07:25
I've not built one, but have flown the 701 and enjoyed it - comfortable with sparkling STOL performance, reasonable cruise performance, and handling that doesn't challenge you particularly.

Worth mentioning that there's an Italian copy of the 701 called the Savannah, which is similarly capable but about £10k cheaper - I've also flown it and enjoyed it. I think this may be slightly quicker to build also, I've been told around 400 man-hours, and most of that operating a power rivetter, so relatively unskilled. http://www.sandtoft-ultralights.co.uk/

G

shortstripper
1st Sep 2004, 09:30
Hi again One2go,

The Savanna is cheaper in kit form, but if you want to build from plans you will have to go for the 701 as I'm pretty sure the Savanna is kit build only. How much cheaper this works out at I'm not sure, but it will allow you to spread the cost.

When you call I can give you the number of someone who built his 701 from plans. He's always happy to chat about it.

Here it is flying ... http://www.ivannn.flyer.co.uk/zenn.mpg (12mb)

SS