PDA

View Full Version : NERC - How Has It Got THIS Far ?

Shazbat
29th Sep 2000, 14:22
Having spoken to many colleagues at LATCC concerning NERC, and the procedures/equipment to be used, I find myself asking this question.

How the HELL has the project managed to get so far ??

Perhaps someone could enlighten me ?

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

Blame_NERC
29th Sep 2000, 15:14
OK Shazbat - I'm intrigued what is about the equipment that you don't like?

Shazbat
29th Sep 2000, 17:00
The electronic so-called "wizardry" which will not accept co-ordinations for a start !

What happens when there's weather about (perhaps you've heard of weather, it's something we get a LOT of these days) and aircraft are flying off their flight planned tracks ? I have heard that it is nigh-on impossible to make co-ordinations on these aircraft if the sector concerned is not included in the flight.

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

Also, another question, as you may well be a management "expert" ? Where is the staff going to come from.....or are yet more sectors to be farmed out to other agancies in order that NERC can cope ?

:mad:

Blame_NERC
29th Sep 2000, 17:54
Shazbat,

Firstly, I ain't no manager 'expert' and don't wish to be. I have no idea where the staff are coming. I'm actually an engineer that takes more than a passing interest in their job, as you claim to.

Secondly - I want a system that works, after all I do sometimes fly, and constructive feedback is always useful. You never know it might just make things better.

Thirdly - "you've heard" doesn't mean its true or that it still happens. What ATCO's see at the moment (in the TDU) is several builds back on what is happening on OPS.

Shazbat
29th Sep 2000, 18:20
Blame, My apologies.......please accept them.

But the "I have heard" came from a colleague that I spoke to as recently as two days ago.

There seems to be a big problem with aircraft entering a sector that is not expecting it. Unfortunately this happens quite often - be it weather, as previously mentioned, or other unforseen cuircumstances.

At the monment, that problem is easily solved with a phone call and a hand written strip.........

identnospeed
29th Sep 2000, 18:20
Blame NERC,

Disregarding the staff-shortage issues, in your opinion will NERC open on time (Jan '02) ?

INS

MACC 29 all the time!!!!
29th Sep 2000, 23:11
Farming out the sectors seems to be the way forward, simulations early next year .....welcome to MACC 31 all the time!!!! actually thinking about it , it would make a nice change!!!!

Blame_NERC
30th Sep 2000, 00:42
INS,

All I'm going to say, cos I don't want some ill-informed garbage appearing on the front page of Computer Weekly, is that it is going to be tight.

Ask again June 01 when the 'O' date build has been under test for a couple of weeks.

HounslowHarry
2nd Oct 2000, 02:32
Hey Fellas

Here's an idea.
If we get Privatised, we could continue to farm out all the sectors to other providers.
Maastricht doing clacton, DFS on DVR, the Irish CAA on STU, Gander on Oceanic, New Zealand S 29, Sierra Leone doing LMS/LUS!!

That way there is no staff troubles to worry about, and the government can blame someone else about the mess.

On a serious note (if the above wasn't serious enough), they reckon there will be 6 or 7 centers in the whole of Europe. The way this government and NATS are going, do you think we will run any of them,never mind 2, despite the fact we may be some of the best people in the world?

No speed Restriction
2nd Oct 2000, 03:12
Good call Harry.........could do with a posting like Geneva or that ilk!!! Think we're in for a chance??? ;-)