PDA

View Full Version : WTC Attack - An excuse for job cuts?

Bluebaron
18th Sep 2001, 07:18
We all know that the world's airlines have been struggling financially for some time now.

The main cause (as Richard Branson said himself on the BBC last night) is high fuel costs coupled with a drop in pax numbers.

Now BA announced before last week’s atrosities their plan to shed up to 6000 jobs, I bet they wish now they had waited. I'm sure that Virgin, Continental and others were just about to make similar announcements themselves. They now have the perfect excuse.

My deepest sympathies to those people involved in the terrible state of affairs in the US, but please airline CEO's don't make them an excuse to cut jobs.

RVR800
18th Sep 2001, 19:56
The straw that broke the camels back ..

Except it wasnt a straw it was a ten tonne
weight and the Camel doesnt just have a broken back it's very very poorly ..

It will recover though ..

In time - years (2-3)

SnakieJack
18th Sep 2001, 20:22
To cut Jobs it's the only way to survive for Airliners. As you can see on latest news NY (http://luchtvaart.pagina.nl) companies like United are loosing 20 milj. USD a day, Shares of AA are dropped 70% in value... So if you still want to fly in the future, cutting jobs is the only way...

[ 18 September 2001: Message edited by: SnakieJack ]

RATBOY
18th Sep 2001, 21:28
Just remember the best way to make a million dollars in the airline business is to start out with two million.