PDA

View Full Version : faa/ir questions

fullrich
29th Aug 2004, 21:34
I would like to get a retricted faa ppl on the back of my own jar ppl .Do i need to do a flight test or flight checkout in the states before being issued the license and can i use this to get an faa ir rating ie:without having to sit the faa ppl exams and flightest ??

Thanks

S-Works
29th Aug 2004, 21:37
yes you can. but as a point you might as well do the PPL exams at the same time as that will give you a full FAA licence which is valid on its own right and if you cant pass the PPL exams you wont pass the IR exams!!!

PM me for details!

fullrich
29th Aug 2004, 21:54
Thanks for the reply.I would have no problem with doing the exams again but would I need to do the ppl flight test also and if so could it be done on the same trip as the ir trainig?

Flyin'Dutch'
29th Aug 2004, 22:27
For the restricted FAA PPL based on your non US but ICAO licence you don't need a flight test or any written paper. Just follow the instructions on the FAA website.

You can add an FAA IR to it.

The written for the FAA PPL is not very difficult and only a minor pain if you already are reviewing for the FAA IR.

You will need 3 hours instruction and a sign off by an FAA instructor before you can do the PPL flight test which has minor differences to the UK GFT but these should be no problem for any competent PPL.

Again minor detour only if you already are in the loop for the FAA IR.

FD

Charlie Zulu
30th Aug 2004, 00:49
Or, if you have around 250 hours, why don't you obtain the FAA CPL?

S-Works
30th Aug 2004, 13:17
CharlieZulu, Not sure what advantage that offers to a UK based PPL. The IR is fine but the CPL I am finding has no real use in the UK. You cant even do photo work with it as due to some quaint old law dating back to the war it is illegal for a foreign registered plane to survey the UK!!!

Unless you have some corporate who own a plane and want you to fly its staff around you are stuffed. You cant even offer flights in your own N-reg plane as that makes you a scheduled airline!

You could do an FI rating but thats about it.

Nice badge to have but no real benefit!!

Charlie Zulu
30th Aug 2004, 14:21
Hi Bose-x,

Accepted that a CPL offers little over a PPL for UK based pilots except for those who go a little further and obtain an FAA CFI and CFII. But even those would probably be limited to carrying out BFRs and IPCs.

However doesn't the insurance companies offer a slight premium discount if one holds a CPL over a PPL? I'm sure that is the way it works in the USA, how about the UK?

The reason I obtained one is so I'm dual qualified across the FAA and JAA worlds. Hopefully it'll open a few more doors towards my goal... to land a corporate jet career.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

dublinpilot
30th Aug 2004, 14:39
Fullrich,

Just one small point in case it's relevant. When you get your FAA PPL on the basis of your JAR PPL, you can't exercise the priviliges of it, until you do a Biannual Flight Review. However this can be combined with a club checkout, and isn't any more difficult than a check out, so is largly a non-issue.

dp

S-Works
30th Aug 2004, 14:44
CZ,

No the big discount comes with the IR, the CPL offered nothing in discounts.

I personally have no goals towards taking a pay cut! But the CPL stuff was fun!

It would be difficult to offers BFR etc as an independant you would need to be part of an FBO or have duel JAR and FAA Instructor ratings. The only FAA only FBO in the UK is AFTS at Coventry who are a jolly nice bunch.

KitKatPacificuk
30th Aug 2004, 15:36
Dublinpilot

You're right, it can be done at the same time as a club checkout. If in the UK the Instructor giving the checkout must be a FAA CFI.

Just a point.

chrisbl
30th Aug 2004, 16:29
getting an unrestricted FAA PPL means doing the flight test and exam just like an american. The JAR PPL means that you only need to do some night flying unless you have the night qualification.

The point about the FAA CPL is that if you have 250 hours + it seems to make more sense to do the CPL than take a step back to do the PPL. Sure it has no practical benefit like being able to earn in the UK, but it does include a complex aircraft operation and some more interesting manoevres like chandelles etc.

There is an exam for that which is a combination of Instrument and private questions (100 questions) which is not that difficult and the flight test.

Seems pointless effectively trying to achive the same qualification ie PPL if there others on offer and then it is only a step away from the Instructors rating. That is useful because you will then be able to BFRs and as long as you dont charge (in UK you need an JAR instructors rating) you will make lots of friends. LOL