View Full Version : land after? land only?

green dinosaur
29th Aug 2004, 17:23
Can I please have the exact definition of these two terms please??

Gonzo
29th Aug 2004, 17:43
Land after:

From UK Manual of Air Traffic Services Part 1: "When aircraft are using the same runway, a landing aircraft may be permitted to touch down before a preceding landing aircraft which has landed is clear of the runway provided that;
a) The runway is long enough to allow safe separation between the two aircraft and there is no evidence to indicate that braking might be adversely affected.
b) It is during daylight hours.
c) The controller is satisifed that the landing aircraft will be able to see the preceding aircraft which has landed clearly and continuously, until it is clear of the runway; and
d) The pilot of the following aircraft is warned. (Responsibility for ensuring adequate separation rests with the pilot of the following aircraft.)

Land only: Not official phraseology, but I'm guessing that it's used to ensure an a/c doing circuits will land rather than touch and go because the controller cannot ensure it will receive the applicable vortex separation. (following a heavier category departure, a touch and go requires 3 minutes)

parkfell
29th Aug 2004, 18:08
Consult your CAP 413 [Sept 2003 issue] Chapter 4 Page 10 at 1.9.3 for "land after". In essence the same as in MATS Part One.

Whilst I agree with the answer for "land only", it does not prevent you, as aircraft commander, from going around on the grounds of safety - avoid the vortex wake which may exist though!!

Depending upon the length of runway, your ATC unit may have additional flexible rules in their MATS Part Two. Pay them a visit, you may learn something new.

JEP
29th Aug 2004, 19:25
I Denmark - we use the phrase:

"Full stop landing" when indicating, that we are finishing our touch and goes (off course a full-stop-landing might become a go-around).

Celtic Dragon
31st Aug 2004, 02:22
I have previously worked at a unit where there was a very high rate of circuit traffic. If an aircraft that was previously cleared for a touch and go was not yet airborne, you could not clear the second for a touch and go. In this scenario, you would clear the second aircraft to "land after, land only" and tell them to stand-by for take off clearance . Before anyone goes into the big legal references, this was what worked at this unit for these students.

parkfell
31st Aug 2004, 07:51
Celtic Dragon has just reminded me that this technique was used extensively at Prestwick when BAe Flying College was busy during daylight hours.

Due to the runway 13/31 being a shade under 3000m long, with the college situated near the mid-point on the northside, ATC would treat it as TWO runways, and would say:

"land after the departing from the mid-point"

No problems at all for the tiddlers.

:cool: