PDA

View Full Version : GA Flying in Cyprus?

Thumpango
29th Aug 2004, 11:52
I am taking a holiday in Cyprus soon.

Does anyone know what the GA situation is there, flying clubs etc? I don't really intend flying north over the border!

Any pointers would be very welcome!

Many thanks:ok:

murphy1901
29th Aug 2004, 13:21
Thumpango

Please dont take this as a "use the search" reply! :D

I noticed this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=126270&highlight=cyprus) a short while back when my thoughts were on possibly flying in Cyprus the next time we visit.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on if you get some flying in on your holiday :ok:

Thumpango
29th Aug 2004, 13:40
murphy1901,

many thanks for the link!

I should have used search in retrospect but I check here regularly and couldn't remember seeing anything about Cyprus.

Plenty of info on that thread which I will follow up

thank you for your help.

Bluebeard777
29th Aug 2004, 21:23
I flew to Larnaca in May. Ripped off big time for landing/handling/parking. And the avgas man was on strike. Plan for separate GA airfield has not yet materialised.

Thumpango
30th Aug 2004, 19:25
Oh, thanks Bluebeard777. I hope my experience is a little better, I shall watch out for high charges!

DB6
30th Aug 2004, 20:15
I flew in Cyprus over 10 years ago. It was very regulated from what I remember i.e. the airspace tightly controlled, which is understandable when you consider the proximity of Turkish Cypriot airspace (some of which I overflew...oops). They had VFR routes which you had to stick to and opportunities for bimbling were limited. That said as I remember it was relatively cheap and the instructors good, English spoken etc. I flew from a field called Lakatamia just South of Nicosia but I think the school moved to Larnaca so probably a bit more expensive after that. Plenty of adverts in Pilot magazine for Cypriot flying schools I seem to remember.

Bluebeard777
31st Aug 2004, 12:17
Lakatamia still exists, but I was told (in May) that civilian aircraft are not allowed there, Cypriot army only.

Deneb
31st Aug 2004, 19:10
Thumpango,

A friend of mine's father is an instructor in Cyprus, and I'm sure would be very happy to help if you would like to fly there. I was going to go last October, but the needs of my 9 month old daughter won out and we went elsewhere.

Best wishes

Deneb

2close
1st Sep 2004, 21:45
Thumpanago,

Did some refresher training and my FAA BFR there in May this year, at Pafos with Griffon Aviation. I enjoyed myself there - the boss was a star.

All flights require a FPL and you are limited to a relatively small training area to the north and north-west of Pafos - can't speak for Larnaca. The only other flying permitted is a VFR low level route between Pafos and Larnaca (so I was informed).

You need to get security clearance (pretty much a formality through the FTO) and you hand your passport in for a visitor's security pass at the airport but they're not very happy with you taking your camera airside (Pafos is co-located with a military airbase and you fly finals on 27 staring at Patriot missile batteries...mmmm, interesting).

ATC was OK, didn't take too long to get over the dialect differences. Our a/c had US altimeters but they were happy to give QNH in inches or Mb.

Prices very similar to UK prices - about CY £100 for PA28 and CY £ 250 for Cessna 310.

Very sparse countryside, not really much to look at.

Summer weather provides good refresher training for density altitude experience - PA28-140 climbed as if I'd left the tie down blocks attached, due mainly to temperature but also due to front seat ballast, if the truth be known.

HTH,

2close

Thumpango
15th Sep 2004, 10:17
Many thanks for all your comments.

I have just returned from Cyprus and managed to get in some flying with Griffon Aviation in Pafos.

PA28 -140 and '2close' you are right - took a while to get up to 3000 ft! Despite your pre warning I ack. QNH in Mb then realised the altimeter was calibrated in inches! Fairly hazy day and just flew the VFR route along the south coast.

There only seemed a choice of this route or flying up the west side for island sightseeing.

The school seems very popular and it appears they have their own CAA examiner and engineer.

Lovely long runway >2000mtrs. interesting view of the military field whilst on finals !!

I am used to the Warrior (161) that floats forever so was rather surprised when the 140 dropped like a housebrick on closing throttle on the landing!!:O