PDA

View Full Version : NTSB web site - animations (also in Wannabes)

Bear Cub
26th Sep 2000, 06:55
It may take a while to download the animations but look at this site.
http://www.ntsb.gov/events/2000/incursion/incur_video.htm

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

TANSTAAFL
26th Sep 2000, 10:59
That's quite scary. Especially the 'lost in fog' simulation. Am I the only one who got the impression that the crew were trying to tell ATC where they were but they weren't listening? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

fweeeeep
30th Sep 2000, 12:38
As an ATC, listing to the audio and seeing the animation of the PVD, I went a little cold at the thought of the potential that there was for big one!!

Having said that, I can understand how easy it can be to become disorientated in poor visibility.

Questions:

**Was there any form of Surface movement radar available?

**Is the use of Stop-Bars not commonplace in the US?

Suggestion:

**If a pilot is unsure of their position on the airfield, and it seems that the ATC is not displaying the necessary concern, then make a general broadcast on the frequency stating that you are on a runway, and that your position is not clear to yourself, that you are uncertain which runway you are on.

That will A) give a fair heads-up to all the other pilot's, and B) make it clear to ATC that there is a real risk.

Just my thoughts

fart
30th Sep 2000, 21:46
You only learn from your mistakes and I hope the lessons were learned by those involved. I personally think that the guy did a great job and was obviously aware of the concequences of the near disaster, hence the scream. I thought the women was a bit inexperienced and not listening to the pilot. Instead of rectifying the problem immediately, she tried to blame the crew. Instead of getting things sorted immediately, stay in control of the situation by stopping all movements and later try to find out what went wrong, she went into panic stations. Let that be a lesson to us all - when things go wrong, they seriously go wrong and it is never a single factor that causes an accident. Break the the chain asap.