PDA

View Full Version : Transair Kneepad for Garmin Pilot 3

KCDW
28th Aug 2004, 14:38
Seems a cheaper option than a dedicated yoke holder. Can anyone out there who has used this offer any views?

Any other cheap and cheerful suggestions?

Thanks

skydriller
28th Aug 2004, 15:12
Any other cheap and cheerful suggestions?

I dont think you will do any better than Velcro on the dash/base of the unit..... I have a Garmin 196 which happily goes from aeroplane(Robin) to car in this way, the velcro cushions the unit from vibrations somewhat, plus on the dash it has a clear view of the sky and Ive not yet lost the signal using the standard attached antenna....dont know how good the reception would be on a yolk or kneeboard.

Regards, SD..

Cusco
29th Aug 2004, 02:06
I used a Pilot 3 this spring for a touring holiday in USA mounted on a yoke mount bodged from a Garmin90 yoke mount I had in the cupboard.

Worked pretty well till I kicked it with my foot and snapped it in two: field repairs with a penknife resurrected it.

In UK I have a 295 which is too darn heavy for the yoke mount: vibrates to b*ggery> And yes we have had the prop dynamically balanced.

I therefore mount it on the dash with velcro.

It's pretty good there but does kinda get in the way of the view out front (Arrow)

Tried mounting it on P2's dash but it was too far away to reach/see.

Someone's told me to try one of those suction mounted mobile phone holders with huge suction cup at one end, flexible stalk and malleable grip for the phone (readGPS.) at the other.

Tr*****r charge the earth for them but I gather you can get 'em in Halfords type places.

Might be worth a try.

TonyHS
29th Aug 2004, 06:41
I use something similar with my Pilot 3. I have bolted on a thin piece of board to the back of the kneeboard. This extends above the kneeboard just enough for the dashboard mount to be fixed to it. The dashboard mount is then just bolted on to the board. That way it can be removed anytime for putting back on to the dash if you don't like the kneeboard set up.

I always use it on the kneeboard now, it is a lot more convenient.

Tony H-S

Cusco
29th Aug 2004, 10:18
My worry with mounting the Garmin on the Kneeboard would be restriction of ' full and free' movement of the controls.

I certainly couldn't use this method in our Arrer.

Mebbee I've just got fat legs......