PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

bearpaw
28th Aug 2004, 12:01
I have had a few problems getting my ppl but have managed to find a new instructor who is brill. The problem is that I can't get flying with him very often as he is not a full time instructor and has another job!

I am thinking of going to orlando flight training to finish off!! I have all my exams and 60+ hours!! Will I find it easy enough in the US? - I am aware the RT differs etc. - The main advantage is that I can get finished in less than a week. what should I do?

Flyin'Dutch'
28th Aug 2004, 16:02
what should I do?

DO a few searches on flight training in the US and Florida and read the threads there over a few beers.

Good luck!

FD

skydriller
29th Aug 2004, 08:56
....Also, Why not discuss it with your instructor? If he is a good instructor & you have a good relationship with him he will understand your predicament and his limitations re. his other job.
I say lay your cards on the table.... get his input - maybe he will find more time for you?

Good luck, SD..

englishal
29th Aug 2004, 12:47
I think that with 60+ hours it's time to do an intensive course and be done with it. As FD says, sit down one evening with a few beers and browse the forums.

My advice would be go to the USA and finish off, especially as we're approaching winter (I think its actually arrived!).

Cheers

bearpaw
29th Aug 2004, 14:11
Going for it with OFT!! I have read mixed reports about the condition of the aircraft etc but to be honest they could not be any worse than what I am flying at the moment. I will be able to get a warrior III got $103 per hour. The money is not an issue I am just getting a bit fed up now, I just want to get the ppl sorted!!

Hopefully should only take a few hours then I will be ready for the test!!!! Any tips for flying in Orlando?

Flyin'Dutch'
29th Aug 2004, 15:12
Paw,

Have you read the forums at leisure?

FD

Prophead
26th Sep 2004, 17:06
I am in exactly the same situation, all exams passed and ready for my QXC but just cant seem to get it done. Is it worth going through the visa process though for a weeks training? I am thinking of going to spain to finish mine. Any advice?

Fuji Abound
26th Sep 2004, 18:59
I dont see the point in going to America at your stage.

You imply you have found it difficult to get a good instructor - well I suspect American instructors are probably no better or worse and once their you havent got long.

Also if you have only your QXC and flight test you are so nearly there. It is surprising at this time of year how many good days we get - be patient - and in any event you will not being doing the QXC with YOUR instructor so why not get another instructor at the club to authorise your flight.

Last but not least the procedures in the States are a bit different - the language is different, why subject yourself to extra pressure at this stage. When I first did some flying in the States with 600 odd hours I found it a bit strange.

Good luck.

Prophead
26th Sep 2004, 23:20
Its not my instructors fault its more down to weather and work commitments, however whatever summer we had has now gone and i cant see me getting it done in the UK before spring, thats why i am thinking of going to spain to finish.

Also my school is busy (and selling there aircraft which doesnt help) and you have to book quite far in advance, so it is hard to schedule a chunk of hours for the QXC.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has finished their ppl abroad after starting in the uk.

NATCA A80
27th Sep 2004, 01:45
The question that you need to ask about flight training in Florida is, after Florida has endured four hurricanes will there be any flight schools left.

Before I would jump on a plane to Florida I would check on the status of the airport and flight school. Florida has been hard hit with four hurricanes so far and my fellow controllers down there tell me, that a lot of aircraft have been destroyed, several Air Traffic Control facilities have been severely damaged, and living conditions in Florida are limited due to the number of homes that have been destroyed or damaged. Some areas of the state are still without electrical power, and as quickly as they restore power another hurricane comes along and knocks it out again.

Mike
NATCA FWA

BEagle
27th Sep 2004, 06:53
And don't forget the JAA requirements regarding training and testing in the 'state of issue'. The US registered facilities which conduct JAR-FCL PPL training are effectively approved by the UK CAA for the purpose, so if you start in the UK, you can finish in the US.

But that may not be true of other European JAA countries. I've just met a student who has flown 60 hours in another JAA state and has passed 3 exams - I'm just about to ask the CAA what credit he may receive for his hours and exams....... :(

The state of Florida has just been officially declared a disaster area. Thoughts go to the folk who've had 4 hurricanes in 6 weeks to live through.

Andy_R
27th Sep 2004, 14:08
Prebook every hour possible at the school you're at now. At this stage you should only have the QXC and revision to do, so it may do you good to fly with someone else before the dreaded skills test. It can be done in the UK at this time of year,you just need to overbook your lessons, as it were, and then it will come good.

Best of luck

Genghis the Engineer
27th Sep 2004, 14:23
Plus lots and lots of preparation for each lesson.....

G