PDA

View Full Version : new Smithsonian ...

Squawk7777
27th Aug 2004, 14:50
I keep seeing it on my approach into IAD. Any ppruners been there? Would you recommend to visit the new museum? How do you get there anyway?

7 7 7 7

Iron City
27th Aug 2004, 17:34
Live near but haven't had a chance to visit yet (only my non-aviation oriented kids, if you can believe that!). The Smithsonian web site has a lot of info. and there are a couple web cams. Understand the spacecraft gallery isn't open quite yet , but there is lots of other stuff (Concorde, B-29 Enola Gay, SR-71, etc)

To get there drive to the place and fork over $12/ day parking per carload or take a bus from main Smithsonian Air and Space for some other (lower) fee. Web site has specifics.

I will get around to it someday, I hope.

fernytickles
28th Aug 2004, 00:50
Its fantastic!! Spent a whole day there and loved every minute of it. Very different to the downtown one :ok: :ok:

asmccuk
28th Aug 2004, 21:37
This is a must see place. Been twice so far and will go again when in Washington DC.
If staying at some nearby hotels many run a shuttle bus to museum, and you miss the parking charge.
Beleive there is also a bus from IAD terminal if you have some hours to wait for a connection. Have seen more than one guy towing his case around.

Squawk7777
31st Aug 2004, 00:31
Well folks, I am not sure what to think about it...

I found the museum had lots of empty space left. Certain aircraft displayed there are truly impressive, ie Concorde, the ditched Boeing (help! I can't think of the name now! Stratocruiser?), the 707, the FedEx DA-20 (N8FE) and the Space Shuttle. One aircraft I was delighted to see was the German WWII Arado Ar234B with RATOGs.

I suppose I don't really qualify with my opinion since I have been spoiled by the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH.

One aircraft I'd love to see is the Dornier Do335. Does anyone know which museum displays it?

7 7 7 7

Airways Ed
31st Aug 2004, 16:02
Believe the Do 335 is still at Silver Hill, but it is scheduled to be displayed at Dulles.

PickyPerkins
4th Sep 2004, 16:10
Somewhere in the Smithsonian publicity material it says that 80 aircraft are already in place in the Museum, but it will take three years to move all the planes that they have into the available space. http://home.infionline.net/~pickyperkins/pi.gif