PDA

View Full Version : Turning off the Runway

27th Aug 2004, 11:26
I'm just tarting the nav section for my PPL. I was just wondering, when landing away at an airfield with which you are unfamiliar, and which has more than one possible exit, after landing would you:

a) exit the runway at the nearest possible exit...
b)slow down to taxiing speed and wait to be told which taxiway
to come off at...
c)turn off at the exit most convenient for you and where your
going to be parking...

or would you do something else completely different???

Thanks

owenlars
27th Aug 2004, 11:52
Personally I'd ask them

foxmoth
27th Aug 2004, 12:07
a) or c) would be the normal thing, but if c) you need to clear it with ATC if it means remaining on the runway longer than you otherwise would.

yintsinmerite
27th Aug 2004, 12:10
I usually ask and after almost getting something big landing on top of me at Coventry on my QXC, because I didnt know where to go, I got into the habit of asking while on final and still have it.

stillin1
27th Aug 2004, 12:13
Unless it is obvious, I go along with the "C/S request taxy instructions" along with the heads up to the dude on the radio if you want fuel! Have a plate of the airfield layout and there will be no problems following the ensuing instructions.:cool:

englishal
27th Aug 2004, 12:14
I would have an idea of where I want to park beforehand (ie. GA parking / XYZ East / XYZ Handling) and then aim to turn off at the most convienient spot for that. If ATC (if there is one) ask, you can tell them where you want to park, if they tell you somewhere else, I'd query it with them, and if no ATC, but say a "Gound" freq I'd simply ask "where would you like us to park sir" or something along those lines....

Penguina
27th Aug 2004, 12:27
Hi 101,

In this stage of training it's really easy to get hung up on these details - I remember it well!

I would say this issue is generally not a problem. It just depends where you're landing.

If you're at a full ATC place, you will be told what to do before you've had a chance to worry normally - and if it's a big place, be prepared to be told to take second left, first right to taxiway charlie, cross the inactive, 3 rights, 3 lefts, back across the other way to avoid the taxiing heli, advance to Mayfair and park behind an aircraft you've even never heard of let alone be able to recognise... :uhoh:

FISOs also have control of the ground and should let you know what to do if you don't know the place, but if they don't, just ask. It's not generally as complicated at these big places, though!

If it's A/G, I just do what's sensible but I normally make sure I'm not causing problems by doing so by talking to them.

If unsure, I get off the runway when I'm definitely ready to and then sort myself out. You're supposed to vacate as soon as possible and this is common sense anyway. However...

One thing it's very important not to do is to worry so much about where to turn off that you don't pay attention during the landing run, which is part of landing, the most difficult manoeuvre in normal flight, and when you're still carrying a lot of energy as speed.

If it freaks you out, have a look at the plate before you go and plan in advance I'd say. :)

Fly Stimulator
27th Aug 2004, 13:32
Another thing to consider later on is that if the exit is a long way up a lengthy runway then try to land somewhere near it rather than at the threshold, otherwise you'll have a long taxi enlivened by a succession of "Going around" calls from the aircraft coming in behind you. ;)

ACW 335
27th Aug 2004, 14:57
Even if the airfield isnt PPR, i always ring up for airfield info before i go so i have a general idea - also ask where to park if unsure!

Normally ATC tell you where to park immdiately after you have touched down.

IRRenewal
27th Aug 2004, 15:20
When it is A/G, never ask for "taxi instructions". The answers is likely to be something like: reduce power to idle, release the brakes, increase power until A/C starts moving and immediately reduce power to stop A/C from accelerating beyond control. A/G radio operators cannot issue instructions so don't ask for them.

"Where would you like me to park (for 30 minutes/2 hours/overnight)?" asked on the RT generally does the trick at any airfield you visit.

I would be careful with the suggestion from Fly Stimulator. Better a long taxi to the runway exit than going of the end because you are trying to be smart.

In the US they use something called progressive taxi instructions if it all gets complicated. No reason why you can't ask for it here. I am sure most ATCOs rather have you ask a few clarifications as opposed to blundering onto an active runway.

Finally, use common sense. I know it says in the book to vacate left, but if there is nothing to the left of the rwy apart from a bit of grass, and you then have to cross the active runway to get to the parking area, you haven't achieved anything by doing it by the book.

Solo Hire
27th Aug 2004, 22:38
Folks,

Slightly off the subject maybe, bit I got caught-out on my first land-away after qualification. I had worked out beautifully where I was going to land and which exit to take in an A/G environment. It involved back-tracking as there were no exits beyond the touchdown zone.

However, it never occured to me that the aircraft that I was following on final would also be doing the same thing. Did I leave enough space for him to back track? Did I heck! I'll be going around then.

Obvious with hindsight.

FWA NATCA
28th Aug 2004, 01:56
Here in the U.S. the answer would be "A", exit at the first available exit that you safely can unless told otherwise. A pilot can request a different exit (long landing), but at a busy airport we normally want you off the runway as quickly as possible.

Mike
NATCA FWA

Final 3 Greens
28th Aug 2004, 07:21
The exam answer is exit to the left as soon as possble.

foxmoth
28th Aug 2004, 09:00
The exam answer is exit to the left as soon as possble.

I think this was really for Grass Airfields when there are no proper exits/taxiways and most places would expect you to take the first exit on the side of the airfield that you were visiting. (NOTE I said MOST places, so don't quote me the exceptions please:hmm: )

Spitoon
28th Aug 2004, 11:38
The exam answer is exit to the left as soon as possble.It's still the exam answer - see the Rules of the Air.

Whirlybird
28th Aug 2004, 11:59
If in doubt, ask. That applies to this, and anything else. Don't worry about HOW you ask either. Don't get hung up on radio language and requesting this or that; just ask in plain English. I've said at various times: "Where would you like me to go?"; "Where should I park?"; "Er...not familiar with that aircraft type you want me to park behind; please could you direct me"; "I'm sorry; I don't quite follow that", and all sorts of other variations. It's easy to get so hung up on correct radio usage that you forget that it's primarily about communication, and that ATCOs, FISOs, and A/G operators are there to help you.

foxmoth
28th Aug 2004, 12:04
It may be the exam answer, but landing say 24R at Man are you REALLY going to exit first chance to the left? This may be the extreme example, but even at somewhere like Goodwood you would not be looked on very well if you landed on 06 or 32 and exited left.:sad:
( Actually I think you will find that the clear left requirement is where landing is "not confined to a runway" )

niknak
28th Aug 2004, 19:35
ALWAYS ask first.

Taxiways work both ways, and to assume that you should vacate at the first exit, or at the taxiway most closely associated with where you think you might be parking is extremely foolhardy and very frustrating from our ( an atco's) point of view.

We plan ahead for the most expiditious and safest operation in both the air and on the ground, and that plan will only work if you help us by communicating, not assuming.
If you don't, the plan won't work, and you'll not only inconvenience yourself, but many others.

Chilli Monster
28th Aug 2004, 21:30
I'm going to take a slightly opposite to view to Niknak's and say you shouldn't have to ask (at an ATC field).

If it's an ATC set-up you should be told in good time before you've even said anything - believe it or not they often have a better idea than you where you'll be parking (As I've pointed out to the occasional visitor who THINKS he's parking one place when I KNOW he's parking in another ;) ).