PDA

View Full Version : Pilot III & Navbox

Maxflyer
27th Aug 2004, 07:33
I wonder if anyone can help me?

I recently aquired a 2nd hand Garmin Pilot III GPS and Navbox ProPlan 4. With these was the usual bits that come with the Garmin as well as a cable that I'm told will let me upload software updates and flight plans to the unit. It has a proprietry connector (Garmin) and a 9 pin serial (female) connection at the other. Do I need any special software to make this work as I want to update the software in the unit.

Thanks

MF

stiknruda
27th Aug 2004, 07:40
MF

Consider me an expert on this:)

I have done it once - actually Tuesday this week!

Go to Garmin.com

go to s/w downloads

download the GPS s/ware update applicable to your PilotIII (it is really easy and simply explained)

then go to Aviation database updates

download the database(s) that you want

A credit card transaction for 35usd plus VAT at 17.5% is then required to gain an unlocking key.

Plug the serial port connector into the back of your PC, plug the round female end into your Garmin. Put Garmin into sim mode

Go to wherever you've stashed the downloads, run the little exe files, key in the unlock code for the database and Robert is your mother's brother.

It really was simple, easily explained and pain free.

Stik

Maxflyer
27th Aug 2004, 10:09
Thanks Stik,

I'm now an expert too.

I successfully downloaded the latest version of software and European map.

MF

Rod1
27th Aug 2004, 16:20
Have you got the Navbox working as well? I can plan on my Navbox and download the full plan into my 196 in seconds! The Garmin 3 will do the same.

Rod1

stiknruda
27th Aug 2004, 20:32
Navbox - sounds just the ticket , how much and from whom?

Actually - from whom sounds even nicer!

Stik

LowNSlow
28th Aug 2004, 08:44
Try Navbox.nl stik .

Sorry if that's advertising BR L / keygrip but it really is the safest way to use a GPS.