PDA

View Full Version : Proper call for type of aircraft.

con-pilot
17th Sep 2000, 08:50
As I write this I am in Jackson Hole Wy. (KJAC) in the US. Last night when I landed the local controller (Tower) told me that I was number 2 behind a Heilo. I ASSUMED (I know my fault) he ment a Heilo type airplane that was going to land on the same runway as me. We could not see any airplane in front of us. The other AIRCRAFT called in and gave the same DME on final that we had and 500ft below us. I thought an airplane, was too close (non-radar), and I was geting a little nervous.

After a lot of calls the tower controller said that the "Heilo" was landing at a car park.

At that time I told the FO it was my radio and I asked the tower "Was my traffic an airplane or a helicopter?"

He said "A helicopter."

Me, "Next time you need to tell high speed jet traffic that they are following an airplane that is going to land on the same runway as I am, or if it is a helicopter landing some where else."

He, "Oh, sorry, I thought everybody knew when I said "Heilo", they knew I meant Helicopter." I replied "Sorry I don't know you! Get it right next time."

Must have been a new guy!