PDA

View Full Version : Broadening my horizons

d192049d
26th Aug 2004, 16:44
OK heres the thing.

Have got 100 hours all in Cessna's (152 / 172), Grass (Derby) tarmac (East Mids), live in Lichfield in Staffordshire and am getting a little tired of "1 hour local's". I am keen to get furher afield and am looking for a flying "buddy" so to speak as am struggling to afford much more than keeping legal.

Question - If there is anybody out there in the local area who is perhaps in a similar situation as me and would be prepared to consider sharing cost & flying I would love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance

jezbowman
26th Aug 2004, 21:03
Ditto. 100Hrs. PPL. C172/152. East Midlands.

Equally getting fustrated of £100 bacon butties and looking for more £200 bacon buttie venues.

However, going to finish my IMC rating this autumn/winter so will be piling cash into that.

Are you at EMFS?

Monocock
27th Aug 2004, 07:12
d192049d

Maintaining currency and enthusiasm is difficult especially when you feel you have no real "NEED" to be airborne. Do you find yourself in the air just for the sake of being there sometimes? I went through that several years ago and asked myself why I got my PPL.

I remember when I was learning that I imagined I would use the licence to go everywhere and use the licence on a weekly basis. The main reason this never happened was the prohibitive cost of flying when I was at college and its importance as an interest fell down and my licence lapsed.....

If you are currently renting, do the sums and work out if you can get a share in an aircraft. It really will open up the horizons as you will not always be staring at the tacho and thinking that "this is costing me two quid a minute" thought!!

Similarly, the other group owners will be around and will be an excellent support when it comes to your first foreign trip etc. Basically, what I am saying is that it is good to break away from the club flying environment sometimes.

Owning or part-owning is not as extravagant as it sounds and if you pick your a/c and group carefully, you really can consider it as an investment that will give you the cheapest and most rewarding flying.

Similarly, assess whether the types you are flying are the types you really want to be flying. I flew the Cessnas and Pipers for hundreds of hours until I discovered the ones with the third wheel in the correct place!! The general cost of these a/c (as most of them operate on a Permit) is far less and the running costs are also a fraction of the nose-wheel trainer/tourer types.
They give far more rewarding flying and really do not break the bank.

I would suggest you try and fly a few varying types over the next few months and work out exactly what you want from being in the air.

It's a bit like learning to drive in a big American V8 and then hiring one to drive around in with three empty seats when you could have an MGB at a quarter of the cost instead!

stiknruda
27th Aug 2004, 07:31
Totally agree with Monocock.

I returned to the UK about 8 years ago and was in exactly the same predicament. As an expat, I'd been flying twins at my company's expense. To pay to fly a C150 and to have to bring it back after an hour began to seriously affect the amount of fun that I was having. I considered giving up flying or at least letting my licences lapse.

Then I noticed an ad in the back of Popular Flying for a third share in an Aeronca SuperChief (actually it was a Pushpak). The aircraft was 5 mins from my home and I went to see it.

A week later and 4 grand poorer I was happy pootling around and at under £20/hr felt no guilt just fun!

The hardest part about buying your first aeroplane or first share is convincing yourself that it is an ordinary thing to do! I flew for 250 hours in that aeroplane and recently sold it.

I made money on the aeroplane and that covered ALL of the cost of my flying. Granted I was quite fortunate and could not guarantee to do that every time but it really was "financially free" flying.

Now there is a chap around Leamington who has a beautiful Pushpak, who knows, shares may be available.

Stik

BraceBrace
27th Aug 2004, 08:20
Know what you feel. But there are ways to prevent "boring, must do" flights.

Never fly alone is indeed a first step. PPL flying should be a social activity, and it can really add much to your social life. Up here you have many small flying clubs with their own aircraft, enthousiastic people sharing the fun to fly. You can participate in "rally's" for fun, attend at flyin's (not by car but by plane!). Never participated but my club even has a yearly vacation, where members fly to a destination, stay there for about a week full of flying and fun, visiting the local area from both on the ground and in the air.

Besides all that, take friends along for something special, try to motivate them a little ie: "ever went to this or that city for breakfast?" It's great how fast you can get somewhere with an aircraft. Once you're in the air... some airports are very nice for "PPL touristic adventures", like Texel in the Netherlands.

Stop thinking "I have to fly a C150", but think "I can do this or that and hey... I can use the C150 for that!"

foxmoth
27th Aug 2004, 09:07
Totally agree on the share side. My wife and I have a share in a Falconar (like a Jodel) and I had to hold off from Goodwood for 20 mins the other day while the Arrows were displaying, not a problem when all you are paying for is for 20liters/hour of fuel, it would have p****d me off though if I had been paying club rates of £100+/hour.:oh: :ok:

Andy_R
27th Aug 2004, 13:21
I'm assuming you are hiring from a club?

Put up a notice on the board asking for fellow pilots wanting to share costs.

Use these and other flying forums to get in touch with like minded people. I have met some great fellow pilots through here and, for example, Flyer forums. Suddenly you'll find offers flooding in.

Go to as many fly-ins as you can and enjoy the social side of flying.

Try and involve your partner/family/friends, e.g. on a recent visit by my mother she was most impressed "her boy" could take her for lunch on the Isle of Wight and be back in time for afternoon tea!!!
Friends and work colleagues are only too eager to experience the thrill of flying - just be gentle with them!! No steep turns unless they are really comfortable and so on. And they are legally able to contribute to your costs. Landing fees and lunch paid will ease the burden.

(The above may work too well and your partner may start demanding you buy/share a 4 seater cos she/he loves it so much :uhoh: when all you want is a sporty little number!)

Always make a point of going flying with someone. Then even if it's over familiar territory you will gain pleasure from introducing someone to flying.

Consider extra ratings to add to your skill level - tailwheel, IMC, even just a different type.

You will get bored of bimbling, so make a point of going somewhere different. Aim to visit at least 6 new airfields a year, fly into a Class D, get an SVFR crossing, a RIS, anything that extends your capabilities.

Just don't give it up. That would be far too easy :ok:

d192049d
29th Aug 2004, 16:16
Thanks all for taking the time to respond, I know I am not alone. Group flying I must admit does appeal, but the investment up front will probably keep that avenue closed for the moment.

That said if any of you know of anyone in the local area, perhaps flying from Derby, Tatenhill or East Mids, who would consider a low timer like myself, I would be happy to receive a mail.

Jez I did my training at EMFS and am a current member although havent flown from their for a month or two. Have to admit that Derby is far more challenging, freindlier and no orbits on the downwind leg!!. If you fancy a flight one day drop us a pm, nothing ventured nothing gained eh!

Mike

foxmoth
29th Aug 2004, 19:21
Group flying I must admit does appeal, but the investment up front will probably keep that avenue closed for the moment.

If you fly a moderate amount and look over a couple of years you will find it not that bad (depending on type). eg. a 1/5 share for our group (Similar to Jodel) is £3000. add in £85/month over 2 years, this is £5040. If you fly 30hours/year this works out at:-
£84/hr + fuel=£104/hr approx. AND you still have your share of the aircraft at the end of it. Of course working it out like this, AFTER your 2 year period you no longer have to consider the initial cost of the aircraft and 30hrs/yr NOW works out at £54/hr - and you can STILL sell the equity in the aircraft and recoup at least most of your investment! Of course if you fly MORE hours than this or go for a group with more members it will be cheaper still!:cool: :ok:

Whirlybird
29th Aug 2004, 20:26
For me, the main advantage of groups is aircraft accessibility. Suddenly, you can have an aircraft for two days for that one-hour hop to another airfield - so take someone else and stay overnight. You can go up to Scotland or over to France, and stay away for a few days. If the weather's no good on the day you planned to fly, you can go the next day instead. You may fly the same type, do the same number of hours, and it may not cost you any less, but it opens up so many new horizons. You'll wish you'd done it years earlier.

map5623
29th Aug 2004, 20:39
I would agree with allthat has been said, especially about the comment about it is taking the first step that is the worst decision,
Have a good look round and try a few aircraft, for a contribution many pilots will take you for a jolly to see what it is like., there are some interesting permit aircraft about., finally take your time.
good luck
Mike

foxmoth
29th Aug 2004, 20:52
Forgot that bit!
took ours to Devon to borrow a Moth for the Woburn dH Moth rally, took me 5 days to get it back due to the wx. Even if I had got it back at the scheduled time I do not think I would have been allowed to do that with a club aircraft, especially at the weekend:uhoh:

Crossedcontrols
31st Aug 2004, 19:29
A few years ago I was in the same boat as you. I bit the bullet, did a taildragger checkout and bought into a Cub group. The best thing I ever did. Now after work in the summer evenings I can go for a quick 5 minutes (1 hour) up to the strip and potter about with the door off watching the world go by.
Absolute magic.

CC