PDA

View Full Version : Introduction (+ Red Arrows)

omcaree
26th Aug 2004, 16:36
Hello All,
I've been reading these forums for ages now, but always too lazy to post anything, but I've finally dragged myself to the keyboard to say hello.
I've had my PPL for just over a year, struggling to keep current at the moment because I'm off to university at the end of september and thats costing an arm and a leg.
However I did manage to fly today (despite a stiff crosswind and the aircraft I was booked to fly being U/S). I had expected it to be nothing more than an uneventful flight round the local area and maybe a few circuits to practice crosswind teachnique. but just after getting airbourne and giving approach a call I heard the red arrows on frequency reporting to be at 1000ft routing from benson to the north east. I was just reaching 3000ft so didn't think I'd be in their way, but just out of interest I kept my eyes open for them. after being slightly distracted by a glider who didn't seem to know where he wanted to go I looked down to my left only to see a line of smoke lead by a formation of 9 red aircraft, they flew under me (or I over them) and off into the distance. If only I'd had a camera.
Having only seen them display 2 or 3 times, to see them air to air was quite an experience.
Anyway, I think my laziness has kicked in again so i'll be going now.

Owen Mc

Monocock
27th Aug 2004, 07:03
Welcome to the forum omcaree.

Were you flying at about 1300 hrs? I was driving up the A34 from Winchester at that time and saw the RA's heading NNE towards Benson.

Don't get so lazy that you stop flying altogether......as far as I'm concerned the more people there are in the air, the cheaper it is to be there!

omcaree
27th Aug 2004, 15:37
Must have been about 1330 and they were crossing the M1 just north of Milton Keynes.

Regarding laziness its only a problem at home, when out doing things such as flying there is no stopping me. well finance does stop me i guess, but nevermind

Feneris
27th Aug 2004, 15:43
Quote "so didn't think I'd be in their way, but just out of interest I kept my eyes open for them"

I hope you would have spotted a 9 ship formation with just your routine lookout!! Red Arrow transits should also be NOTAM'd and hence you should be expecting their presence.

Keep on lookin out!!

omcaree
27th Aug 2004, 16:04
I knew they were around, but I was nowhere near the display and their route to and from benson wasn't clear.

interestingly enough they weren't in a 9 ship formation, seemed to be split into two formations, one following the other, but even so they were easy to spot.

WorkingHard
27th Aug 2004, 16:19
Feneris - i must have a blind spot. I have never seen a Red Arrows transit NOTAMED. Indeed in my part of the world you usually see them transiting at around 500feet (1500ft rule or not) assuming everything else gets out of their way.

omcaree
27th Aug 2004, 16:22
The display at benson was NOTAM'd (obviously) cant remember if red arrows were specified but i remember "fast jet displaY" but since I was many many miles from benson I didn't take that much notice. I suppose logically benson > scampton would be routing north of milton keynes, but who says they go directly there?

ShyTorque
27th Aug 2004, 23:22
"you usually see them transiting at around 500feet (1500ft rule or not)"

Doesn't apply to military aircraft... that's why.

2 x 5 ships out and about today.

WorkingHard
28th Aug 2004, 10:33
Shy Torque - Sorry to be pedantic but it does when ATZ are in their way.