PDA

View Full Version : Where to PPL?

hacker
15th Mar 2000, 21:58
Hopefully not too inappropriate for this forum.

The time has come, finally got the cash flow to take to the skies for my PPL and therefore would appreciate some learned advice on suitable flying schools in my area. I live in North London (N1) and flogged the jalopy for the cause, hence access to airfields on the fringes of the city may be tricky.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Toaster
15th Mar 2000, 22:22
Try Aeros in Staverton Airfield 01452-857419
Try to get Morray Orr to teach u but only if u are serious about it he does not like time wasters he only wants to get u through....
But who ever u use try and speak to club members away from instructores and other members of staff so u can find out what the club is like for sure, and if u dont like what u hear then dont give them any money.
I know from my own bad past experience that when I have heard bad rumours about a club but I've been given flannel by staff that its OK it has always turned against me.
So be careful and dont go to the first school that gives u a good deal, and dont think that because u are paying some one loads of your dosh that they will treat u with respect, because they will not...
Just give them bits of money at a time so then they know that they have to keep u sweet or u might bugger off to another school!
That way u stay in control.
Any more info or advice you might need let me know...

Cheers Toaster

hacker
16th Mar 2000, 15:56
Thanks for your comments toaster.

I'm going to be limited to London airfields so Staverton's out of the question I'm afraid. Biggin seems the obvious choice at the moment, but I intend to pay as I go as you advise.

New Bloke
17th Mar 2000, 01:42
Hacker,

If you are in North London try one of the clubs at Elstree, or even better try Skysport. Skysport is sort of based at both Elstree and North Weald, it uses Beagle Pups (the best light aircraft known to man) and Roger Hayes who runs the outfit is a jolly decent chap. When I lived up there I used them a lot for rentals and though I've not had a lesson there, I get the impression that the guys learning with them wouldn't swap.
They advertise in the back of both Flyer and Pilot, if you want, drop me an E-mail and I will give you more details.

T

DB6
17th Mar 2000, 02:50
If you can get hold of the March copy of Pilot magazine, it has all the flying schools in the UK listed in its 'Where To Fly' guide.

rolling circle
18th Mar 2000, 01:45
Pity the man who knows no light aircraft better than the Beagle Pup for his horizons are truly limited. In fact he's no better than the man who knows no beer better than Watneys Red Barrel - Come on guys, show your age!!

Tallbloke
19th Mar 2000, 00:42
Hacker,
I also live in N1 and have started my PPL, I am very happy with Cabair at Elstree. They are a bit pricey, but they have a young fleet of Warriors and plenty of instructors.

New Bloke
20th Mar 2000, 02:01
Well I like it!!! Okay, best light aircraft known to THIS Man. Is that better.

Just counted up only 8 other light aircraft in my log book so I'm not exactly an authority on the breed.

VP8
22nd Mar 2000, 17:55
You could try the Pilot Centre at Denham.
They are on the web under Denhams web site.

There is also a train service from Central London or Tube to end of central line then train and they will pick you up from station.

It's different from there being close to LHR.

dogsbreath
24th Mar 2000, 01:42
Take my advice, bite the bullet, take three weeks off and go to Clacton, learn to fly a real aircraft.(Piper Cub) It is a great club, I used to teach there, they are aircraft mad and reasonably priced, give the people at Denham, Elstree and Stapleford a miss. If you want to know more, E Mail me, I have no personal axe to grind.

pondlifescum
26th Mar 2000, 11:09
I'm only a student myself but whatever choice you make, avoid any flying club within one mile radius of the centre of Carterton (Oxon) unless you are prepared to accept:

* a different instructor for every lesson
* no preflight briefings
* your bookings changed regularly without you being informed
* a CFI that likes nothing better than the sight of his own (abusive) words in print; that initiates a 'witch-hunt on the sly' within the club when you post a thread on this forum requesting advice instead of addressing the problem; that has said thread closed leaving you unable to thank those individuals that offered good advice
* a licence, but only after about 90 flying hours
But it is cheap - and you get what you pay for ... right BEagle?

[This message has been edited by pondlifescum (edited 26 March 2000).]