PDA

View Full Version : Dunsfold

tmmorris
25th Aug 2004, 13:31
What's happening at Dunsfold? Is it open? There were rumours last year but I didn't hear anything further. I have a friend who lives in Guildford and is v. keen to find out!

Tim

SQUAWKIDENT
25th Aug 2004, 15:35
As far as I am aware the BBC now use the site at Dunsfold to tape "Top Gear" and associated road tests are conducted on the now disused runway and taxiways.

Therefore its closed (unless you don't mind being cut up by Jeremy Clarkson in a Dodge Viper/Porsche 911/Ferrari F40 etc..)

Adam

Aim Far
25th Aug 2004, 17:04
Last I heard (March this year) it was open during the week on prior permission (to avoid bumping into Jeremy) and on Saturday 8-3 but had no fuel.

Aces High at North Weald were offering hangarage at Dunsfold earlier this year - maybe give them a call for the latest?

tmmorris
26th Aug 2004, 08:20
Thanks, that's useful. I'd heard a rumour (perhaps on here?) that Jeremy et al were being evicted as they didn't have planning permission for change of use...?

Tim

Miss Bigglesworth
27th Aug 2004, 12:06
I would also be keen to know what is going on as I'm keen to see Dunsfold re-open as an airfield for light aircraft flying on a permanent basis. Its rare nowadaays to see an airfield 're-open', in fact I don't know when such an event happened! (Can anyone answer this?!!). It is all too common to hear about airfields under threat and this would make a welcome change for hobby flyers.

I live near to Dunsfold and residents in local villages were leaflet dropped at the end of last year by Waverley Borough Council, asking our opinions and comments on what we would like to see the site used for in the future. There were four options: 1) Industrial/office use 2) Business Aviation 3) Light aircraft usage 4) Nature reserve. (I went for number 3!!).
These questionnaires had to be submitted by November 2003 but I have never seen an outcome on the results, or any mention from the council of what the next stage is. I'm about to contact the council directly to ask, but if anyone has any other useful information about it would be greatly appreciated before i do.