PDA

View Full Version : NH90 for UK Mil?

Wizzard
25th Aug 2004, 11:48
An article in the Mail on Sunday (So it must be true!) said that Britain is about to procure the NH90 for SF ops. Is this true? Or is it - as they say in China - borrocks. Can't see it myself.

Wiz

Hueymeister
26th Aug 2004, 07:17
If true, I wonder which of the 28 current variants we'll buy?

Ian Corrigible
26th Aug 2004, 13:35
Seems unlikely, for one simple reason: their Agusta Q-ships allow them to blend in with other civvy traffic, but the NH90 is military-only kit.

I/C

WE Branch Fanatic
26th Aug 2004, 15:44
1. Didn't the Army used to own some Agusta A109s?

2. Weren't they featured in the film The Forth Protocol?

cyclic_fondler
26th Aug 2004, 16:00
As a chinook is a bit of an overkill to carry a group of 6-8 blokes to do a task, why not go for a couple of black hawks instead.

MightyGem
26th Aug 2004, 20:59
WEBF, I could tell you, but it has to do with the SF, and we know
what happened last time I posted about them! :eek:

airborne_artist
27th Aug 2004, 06:31
MG and WEBF

Google the a/c type mentioned followed by the initials of the Scandinavian national carrier and you will see several pages referring. At least one page gives an AAC side number.

ChristopherRobin
27th Aug 2004, 06:39
the army still has A-109s!

Hueymeister
27th Aug 2004, 13:32
No..go on Mighty Gem...what happened?

Gainesy
27th Aug 2004, 15:17
Seem to remember that there was also a Huey in the original A.109 "acquisition package".

As to NH90, why? What advantage would it offer over in-service types?

Hueymeister
27th Aug 2004, 17:03
It will also be very expensive...fly by wire has proven to be an expensive way to go; granted it will be cheaper than the HC3 Merlin, but not much.

SF cabs don't need to be huge; the Blackhawk would make a good choice, or why not some Y model Hueys?

bockywocky
27th Aug 2004, 22:44
Although I must admit that it is a highly unlikely story, I do not agree that either Fly-By-Wire or the NH90 is more expensive than the Merlin.

And because the UK already has the Merlin, it would surprise me that only for the SF they would buy NH90...

It would make more sense to use some of the Merlins for that !!!

NURSE
28th Aug 2004, 18:39
or some 412's.
were't the first 109's nicked of the argies?
AFM had an article putting forward the NH90 as a puma replacement. As to Chinook HC3 how much would it be to Buy MH47e? God help us when they try to Navalise it for the SK HC4 replacement along with Merlin.

But since Land forces are the principle user of transport helecopters maybe JHF should now be comanded by the army?

bockywocky
28th Aug 2004, 21:14
Nurse, I do agree very much that the NH90 is a Puma replacement.

Roughly speaking the aircraft itself is merely designed by Eurocopter and the display system would be recognised by any Puma Mk 2 pilot ( the second prototype even has the Puma Mk 2 IFDS installed).

Further than that it has approximately the same weight and the same capabilities. Because of the FBW system its handling qualities are however better than the Puma...

NURSE
29th Aug 2004, 14:48
I would agree NH90 would be a good choice but why not go for more Merlins with the increase of capability they give. Plus the expense of introducing another type plus training/spares etc I would say the Puma replacement should be more chinook/merlin.

talent12
29th Aug 2004, 15:03
I have just been reading about this for my Naval research. It would appear that the procurement of NH 90's is a result of the dual requirements of the Navy's Surface Combatent Marine Rotorcraft and the Army/ RAF Battlefield Light Utility Helicopter. It was going to be Future Lynx for obvious reasons, but is ultimately too small to fulfil the dual role properly. A version of the Merlin was also a possibility, but deemed too large foro the BLUH requirements. Thus NH 90 has been offered with many "benefits" by the manufacturer even though as I understand it will not be made in Britain.

NURSE
30th Aug 2004, 15:27
had seen a sugestion in airforces monthly of a combination of NH90 and MH6 little bird for the BLUH procurement.

DuckDodgers
30th Aug 2004, 16:00
Rumour has is it that after 28 (AC) Sqns bad time in Jordan, cracked windscreens (lots of), knackered engines (lots of due to NO sand filters), there Airships are seriously considering taking it out of the SH role altogether, stupidly expensive, over-complex and hard to believe it has been around 5 years.....great kit on it though. Personally i think it needs a little more time to mature just as the J-model Herc did.

NURSE
30th Aug 2004, 16:42
would agree with your comments. I think there is little long termism in higher command now. It must be able to do it all and yesterday. What happens if NH90 does exactly the same.
Had a few interesting discussions with some RAF officers on telic and in UK and their Impression of merlin was it isn't cougar therefore we shouldn't have procured it. The impression I got was that Merlin HC was doomed from the start as the RAF didn't want it.

oldpinger
31st Aug 2004, 05:47
We just signed up for 12 of them apparently-
see rotorheads forum, model unknown, but as additional trop lift helos to augment the blackhawks in amphib role I presume.

Should be fun, S70/NH90/Tiger/Huey/Kiowa at the same time...

:eek:

Press Release (http://www.minister.defence.gov.au/Hilltpl.cfm?CurrentId=4201)

NURSE
16th Mar 2005, 10:14
Any more news on Puma/Seaking replacement ? For RAF/Commando support Sqns

totalwar
16th Mar 2005, 12:50
sources at WHL stated "I'm becoming more and more convinced that SCMR/ FRCS will be the AB139"

But whether it be the NH90 or AB139, Wastelands will come up smiling...

hairyclameater
16th Mar 2005, 13:49
But didnt we all used to love the Wessex 'cos you could bang it down any where on that lovely tail wheel?? Gotta be Black Hawk rather than tricycles or skids surely??

Si Clik
16th Mar 2005, 18:56
FRCS

The meeting to make this decision has been widely reported as taking place this week. I am sure that a press release will hit the streets prior to any Election announcement which will probably be next week as Parliament rises for the Easter recess.

:hmm:

Lafyar Cokov
16th Mar 2005, 23:07
I heard that the Puma replacement was going to be the Sea King, and the Sea King replacement could be Puma - Apparantly its a low-cost option!!

engineer(retard)
17th Mar 2005, 08:35
Si Clik

Methinks you are being a bit optimistic on the press announcement. Due to the potential outbreak of fighting, regardless of the decision, between parts of industry and MOD/treasurey, I suspect this decision will get batted around the corridors for a while first. It also has the potential to be an election battleground, my money is on a post election announcment if labour win and a delay for consideration if tories win.

totalwar
17th Mar 2005, 11:07
Concur with the retarded Engineer.....it will be after the election when his Tonyness announces that the award has gone to Westlands Holdings to Build the NH90 particularly WT Ltd.