PDA

View Full Version : The Archers, New 500 ft rule

Thirty06
24th Aug 2004, 21:18
Sad I know, but I've been following the storyline on The Archers where Kenton has bought his mother a trial flying lesson for her birthday.

Today they had a bit where she's visiting the airfield to see what it's all about.

On the drive down, Whatsername (Grace? Doris? there have been so many) tells her daughter (neice? daughter in law ? probably not much difference in a village that small) that she should be able to fly back to Ambridge during the one hour lesson or else she can extend to an hour and a half. So how long did it take to drive there ?? No mention of it being in the next county.

During the instructor's spiel he is asked if they can fly over the village and he replies:

"Unfortunately not, we're not allowed to fly closer than 500ft to buildings."

So ? they could probably land on the village green and not break too many rules.

It's being repeated tomorrow at 2pm on Radio 4.

I'm also not too sure about the concept of an airfield which was

"Used to train glider pilots in world war two"

still being in existence, much less having multiple hard runways and a control tower.

Noggin
24th Aug 2004, 21:57
I'm also not too sure about the concept of an airfield which was

"Used to train glider pilots in world war two"

still being in existence, much less having multiple hard runways and a control tower.

Try Keevil that meets the description in all respects. Horsa Gliders, Control tower hard runways and still active for gliding, supply dropping etc! Perhaps Ambridge lurks not a million miles away.

The Nr Fairy
25th Aug 2004, 06:57
Keevil's in Wiltshire.

Ambridge is near Birmingham - everyone knows that !

TheJaywalker
25th Aug 2004, 09:33
It's based on Shobdon. I believe the microlight school there has been assisting in the recording of the episode.

Ambridge is based on the village of Inkberrow in Worcestershire.

Who's sad now :\

Flap40
25th Aug 2004, 10:04
And there was me thinking that this thread was about PA-28's :oh:

Penguina
25th Aug 2004, 12:20
I still wonder if watching Gabby from Neighbours accidentally fly into cloud in her skill test so many years ago lay the dormant seeds in the Penguina brain that led to the financial situation she finds herself in now...

They want to be careful what they plant in young and impressionable minds. So The Archers ought to be OK on that front. :D

stiknruda
25th Aug 2004, 12:23
Inkberrow - home to David Gerald, TVR dealer.

Stik

Spitoon
25th Aug 2004, 16:42
Sorry - having trouble following this thread. Is a TVR a microlight?

dmjw01
26th Aug 2004, 11:31
Sorry - having trouble following this thread. Is a TVR a microlight?
No. Microlights are much more reliable.

SQUAWKIDENT
26th Aug 2004, 14:08
But don't they sound GREAT:p

(before they break down..)

javelin
26th Aug 2004, 16:55
No, TVR's are kit cars made in Blackpool - made with Ford and Leyland switches with Citroen wing mirrors :E

yakker
26th Aug 2004, 17:20
I thought TVR's started as complete cars and turned into kit cars once you started driving them.

stiknruda
26th Aug 2004, 20:24
Okay I started this TVR thing and thought it would die an immediate death, unfortunately it hasn't and I feel compelled - start reeling in now, to defend them!

I've had TVRs for more than 10 years, I've had 3 Chimaera's (4.0, 4.5 and a 5), a Griffith 500 and still retain my first, a 3000M. I've always used them as my primary vehicle.

Are they unreliable - well IMHO, NO!
Do they break down with greater frequency than a new saloon from a major manufacturer - well IMHO, NO!
Do irksome little things fail to work frequently - errr YES!

So all in all, it will probably get you home - you may arrive home wet and cold because the heater and the windows have simultaenously packed up, but it will get you home.

In over 10 years I've had to call the AA out twice, first time the Weber carb (3000M) decided to shed the float bowl - fixed by the side of the M1 (me returning from the world's worst business meeting, suffering from too little sleep and with the hangover from hell!). A TVR issue - I don't think so. Didn't have a tool roll with me else I'd have been able to fix it myself!

The second returning from a meeting at PFA HQ in Shoreham. The V8 in my last Chimaera decided to stop being friends with the chest-gasket on the lower part of the block, result it pissed out the coolant. This was Thursday late evening in the pissing rain on the M25 - the AA gave me a lift back to Norfolk. Had the wx not been so dire I'd have flown and the problem would have manifested itself nearer to home, where I could have limped in and repaired it myself.

More a pasionate hobby than a unique driving experience. Nowadays with a cool £40k to blow, I'd probably buy another aeroplane!

Stik

Land Rover owner and vintage TVR custodian!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
26th Aug 2004, 21:00
Back to the Archers -

I just can't beleive how much fuss they're all making over Jill going for a microlight flight. Anyone would think we were back in the days of 'Those Magnificent Men...'.

No wonder the public are scared of flying:confused:

SSD

silverknapper
27th Aug 2004, 16:37
TVR's are kit cars made in Blackpool

Sour grapes?!
Must be one of the most awesome cars I have ever driven, easily outperforming a 911 for half the price.

englishal
27th Aug 2004, 17:00
I've had TVRs for more than 10 years
I like TVR's.....but what puts me off is the bunch of <insert suitable description here> at Le Mans, all parading round in thir purple TVR shirts, talking loudly about their TVR's, and how good they <as in the people> are :E joke..

Still, I feel I should thank the TVR owners club for putting up the big plazma screen on their hospitality truck, on which we managed to watch the football.....England were thrashing France, which we all took great delight in....only for France to thrash England, which the French took even greater delight in.

Doh, going off on a tangent........ Did Gabby really learn to fly...I don't remember that bit....must have been a student through those years?;)

Timothy
27th Aug 2004, 17:09
I have a friend who christened his Lotus "Darkness by Lucas"