PDA

View Full Version : Part-time Pilots

flyma
24th Aug 2004, 20:20
Just wondering... some airlines have them, some don't. Does it make good business sense to have some part-time pilots in the workforce? Is there a financial disadvantage to a company to have them? Does it cause rostering night-mares? Are there indeed any advantages to having a few part-timers around? Why might some airlines be happy to offer part-time hours to pilots and other airlines not?

Miles Magister
24th Aug 2004, 20:57
Do you really expect to get a reply to a detailed probing question on your first post?

I suggest you get your editor to fund some proper research. If you are a business student then visit some airlines formally.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Aug 2004, 10:09
In my experience part time pilots are usually doing something else relevant as well - airline managers, test pilots, accident investigators, manufacturers training captains; in other words pilots who need to remain current for professional reasons, and have sufficient experience that the operators are happy to have them on the books since they add significantly to the skills base without adding much to the training budget.

G

flyma
25th Aug 2004, 14:13
Miles,
I'm neither a journo nor a business student. If you'd bothered to check my profile you'd have known.
And so what if it's my 1st post - we've all got to start somewhere!

Genghis,
Thank you for your sensible reply.

Human Factor
25th Aug 2004, 14:21
You can understand people's reticence to answer straight away. For example, my profile says I'm somewhere near 30W. Great stuff, this EFIS...... :}

Carnage Matey!
25th Aug 2004, 16:45
Its a big financial disadvantage as if you have two pilots each working 50% then you have to pay for two lots of simulator and line checks and other associated overheads just to get one pilots worth of productive work. Most employers (mine included) would avoid it like the plague if they weren't forced to offer it to some people by the law.

expedite_climb
25th Aug 2004, 16:55
Thomas Cook = 5 on, 9 off = 50 % pay. Not actively encouraged due to reasons above. Perhaps only one or two out of 350 pilots actually do it.

Due to being a charter airline, and hence a quiet winter, the company encourages pilots to take the winter off to do other things. (Although they may restrict the amount of flying you do). You get 70% of your salary, all year round, and 6 months off over the winter.

Also available is half paid leave in the winter.

discretion
25th Aug 2004, 17:35
Yes,part time flying is ideal.12 days on 19 days off,got a life at last!

Most part timers do other jobs,maybe but not aviation related necessarily.I do other activities which I find relaxing/rewarding/and fit for my 12 days flying.It also gives you a perspective that life does not end with flying.The business community is equally as challenging and interesting.Networking outside aviation gives one a "cutting edge" in the commercial environment.Anyone want a B737 job?

five iron
27th Aug 2004, 10:31
Permanent-Part-Time is very popular with charter operators, as it allows them to keep pilots on a permanent contract, but also allows them to release them over the winter season. Best of both worlds really.
Of course, this allows the pilots to seek contract work over the winter if they want to. So it also allows them a little freedom.

It is expensive for the operator though, as has been mentioned above, regarding sim, medical renewals, etc, as you have twice the amount of pilots:ok:

flyma
27th Aug 2004, 19:06
Thanks everyone for your replies. Some interesting points.
I didn't realise that by law an employer is obliged to offer part-time - my understanding is that they only have to give it serious consideration. I'd be interested to know under what conditions an employer would have to agree to part-time hours.
Certainly the cost of medicals and sim checks is an issue, but surely an employer could not argue that one if the pilots are responsible for the cost of their own medicals (and possibly sim checks)? As far as type-ratings go, what if many of the pilots joining the company are already type-rated and/or contract pilots?
Certainly that presents fewer reasons for an employer to refuse part-time? I suppose rostering could prove some difficulties, but it obviously works in some companies.
Reason for my original question is that it's something I may want to consider in the future but it's unheard of in the company I'm hoping to join and it's not something you can bring up too easily at an interview!
Any other points or info would be welcome.