PDA

View Full Version : Flying instructor yearly salaries based in UK

Sohrab
22nd May 2000, 15:16
I am almost on the verge of embarking on a modular ATPL course, which I hope to complete by Oct/Nov/Dec 2001. I guess like most ATPL grads I will have to budget for an FI rating and thereafter work as an instructor for awhile building experience and hours. What can an instructor expect to earn on a yearly basis working at a busy flying school and what benefits would he/she be entitled to (if any)?

I hear that instructors get something like £10-15 per hour but calculating a yearly income would depend on the number of hours they would be working each day. Therefore if they turn up for work at 9am and stay til 5pm do they get paid for 8 hours even if they only fly/teach for say 4 hours that day?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Sohrab

foxmoth
22nd May 2000, 15:54
hourly pay tends to be per flying hour, some schools pay a retainer and a lower hourly rate (prob. most common for full time instructors ), and a (very) few pay a better salary and no hourly rate. Sorry I am out of touch for proper amounts, but I get £12/hr for some part time I do at the moment.

Airprox
25th May 2000, 17:13
When I instructed full time I was on a salary of just under £12,000 not too bad for PPL instructing. (I was on £9,000 as an AFI)

------------------
AP

A Very Civil Pilot
2nd Jun 2000, 21:58
If you look at the flight time limitations of 900 hours a year, you'll be looking at between £9-18,000 on flight pay. If you get a retainer all the better.

Going for a school that pays to less, but has the opportunity to fly more may work out better in the long run. I'm thinking of taking a pay cut to get more hours over the summer.