PDA

View Full Version : Visit to Scottish ATC Centre 25th September 2004

10W
24th Aug 2004, 13:09
On the afternoon of Saturday 25th September, join a guided tour of the Scottish and Oceanic Area Control Centre hosted by the dynamic duo, PH-UKU and 10W.

This will probably be followed by copious amounts of beer, curry, dancing girls, and whatever else takes your fancy afterwards in Prestwick or Ayr.

First 16 names guaranteed, after that we'll see what we can do. Confirm your attendance by posting on this thread.

Prestwick is well served by public transport links including rail and air (Ryanair), or Glasgow Airport is about an hour away, so there's no excuse not to pop along.

For those who wish to fly in, the landing fee at Prestwick is £12 if parking at one of the flying clubs.

Go on go on go on .. you know you want to. :}

Provisional List

1. NinjaBill
2. Flying Snapper
3. Jimmydacraw
4. proudscot
5. incubus
6. DX Wombat
7. Pat Warren
8. Ian Forbes
9. Alistair Kennedy
10. Crossedcontrols (+1)
11. On the spot
12. Peter Warden
13. Fancy Navigator
14. Skies the Limit
15. Skies the Limit (2)
16. GerryR

(Names in bold have provided security details)

NinjaBill
24th Aug 2004, 13:18
Can I be first on the list please?

Ill be either driving up from newcastle of flying from sherbert in helmet depending on the wx and bank balance

NB

flying snapper
24th Aug 2004, 13:51
Can I be number two then?

Prestwick is my home airfield so it seems pointless to fly there! (could do a circuit I suppose)

Anyone flying-in should contact Prestwick Flight Centre first to get discounted landings (01292 476523).

esvdx
24th Aug 2004, 14:05
Unfortunately on vacation. Look forward to another date if you get over-subscribed for this one? I think it would be a useful afternoon out....

Thanks for the effort to organise.

Regards

esvdx

jimmydacraw
24th Aug 2004, 17:09
Can you add me to the list too please!

I'll be either driving over from Edinburgh or flying in from Perth.

Jimmydacraw

NorthSouth
25th Aug 2004, 08:13
I'd like to come too please.

Presume you'll need real names at some point!

incubus
25th Aug 2004, 08:14
If there is space, I'm interested.

Coming down from Aberdeen, one way or the other.

Flap40
25th Aug 2004, 10:09
Me too please! although I'll need to check my roster in a weeks time.

NorthSouth
25th Aug 2004, 19:31
Looks like I now have an Archer-load coming from Edinburgh. Could you please add the following to the list:

Pat Warren
Ian Forbes
Alistair Kennedy

Ta!

Crossedcontrols
25th Aug 2004, 20:24
Could I add my name please.
If possible plus one ( a mate lives by your building and wonders what goes on in there).

Crossedcontrols

PS What time do you intend starting?

10W
25th Aug 2004, 22:13
Hi Crossedcontrols,

At the moment we will put your friend down as a possible (i.e reserve), since ideally we want to offer the places in the first instance to Forum members who will benefit from the visit in an aviation capacity.

We will get back with firm times and organisational details shortly but I would imagine looking to kick off around 1400-1430 since myself and PH-UKU could potentially be plugged in doing death defying stunts and smoke and mirror tricks with large aluminium tubes full of people on the radar screens till 1400-ish :}

If anyone wants to make the trek from down South, then Ryanair from Stansted flying up and back on the same day can be as low as £21. OK, it's first flight up and last flight back, but there are plenty more options in between. Or come a day early, depart a day later, or just shop around for a good deal. Haven't looked at other deals, but coming from Dublin is another possibility, as well as a few other European places.

Advice on accomodation can also be given if anyone wants to overnight either before or after.

BRL
25th Aug 2004, 22:21
Ryanair are doing Bournmouth to Prestwick for £0.90p + £11 taxes. Not sure about the times though. Worth having a look if anyone wants to go up from the south. :)

On the Spot
26th Aug 2004, 06:45
I'd like to be another bum on a seat please !

Flap40
27th Aug 2004, 21:24
Roster is out and I'm on a day off!:p

See you there.

PH-UKU
27th Aug 2004, 23:11
..... Peter Warden from Glasgow Flying Club has asked to be added to the list ....

skies the limit
28th Aug 2004, 10:27
Could you add two people from the Prestwick flying club?

Fancy Navigator
28th Aug 2004, 13:27
Hello,
I would like to be added to the list please....:O
Thank you,
FN

DX Wombat
28th Aug 2004, 16:16
10W, I might just bring the caravan up that weekend :E but won't join you for the guided tour, I'll leave a place for someone else who would really benefit. :ok: However, I could be persuaded to join you for a curry and orange juice later. :ok: I could do with something to take my mind off my radio exam on the Monday :sad:

DX Wombat
2nd Sep 2004, 15:14
I will be up in Scotland that weekend :ok: so if anyone who is planning to fly in would like a lift from the Terminal to ScATCC I have a Zafira so will be able to take six extra people at a time. I will be happy to make several trips if there are more than six of you needing transport. Please let me or 10W know, preferably a day or two in advance and in my case, by Thursday evening :ok:

Martin Walker
4th Sep 2004, 10:10
Can I add my name as the 16th please ?

Will fly across in an AA5 from Edinburgh weather permitting, else drive.

Martin.

gerryr
5th Sep 2004, 22:08
Any places left? If so I'll come with Martin Walker in our AA5 from Edinburgh.

Nearly Man
12th Sep 2004, 13:54
10W, well, I might come along for the beers bit afterwards, is that bit open for abuse? .. anyway I've seen you with your feet up on your command desk before so I'll miss that bit ..

I have stolen my MOJO back from RayDaVecta so might be up for clarty wee heefa chasing in Ayr

Gerryr, flying an AA5 from Edi, is that safe? :}

10W
19th Sep 2004, 19:36
Hi folks,

All set now for the visit and we have a full compliment of visitors, plus a couple who will miss the visit but turn up when the beer starts to flow afterwards !!

The people visiting are shown on the list on the very first post on the thread. Please, can you all PM me (or preferably email at [email protected]) your real names so that I can organise security passes for you. Also include your nationality.

The visit will commence at 1400 Local at the Scottish & Oceanic Area Control Centre at Atlantic House, Sherwood Road, Prestwick, KA9 2NR.

Just present yourself at the gatehouse and you will be asked to wait in the reception area where myself or PH-UKU will collect you. For those of you who wish to use DX's taxi service, I suggest you get in touch with her direct to make arrangemnts.

Please bring something with you which identifies you, such as a credit or bank card, passport, driving licence, etc. No truth in the rumour that PH-UKU prefers credit cards so that he can clone them to fund his new seaplane :E

The initial plan is to hold a short presentation on the unit, before breaking in to groups and visiting the Airways Operation Room, the Oceanic Operation Room, and the Distress & Diversion Cell. We also have the services of one of our FISOs for the afternoon and he will be happy to provide information and answer any questions that you may have, as will myself and PH-UKU.

After the visit, you are free to disperse or alternatively spend an evening having some beers and food in Prestwick or Ayr as takes your fancy.

Any questions, please get in touch.

The contact numbers are 10W Mobile 07740-367200, or on the day contact the Airways ATC Supervisor on 01292-692842 or 01292-479800.

10W & PH-UKU

Atlantic House Map (http://www.jetblasters.com/albums/album25/scaccmap.sized.jpg)

Captain Airclues
20th Sep 2004, 22:39
10W

Does the offer of a £12 landing fee extend to a B747-400F?

Which drinking establishment will you be in later in the evening?

Airclues

10W
21st Sep 2004, 18:58
Of course Captain Airclues ... as long as you can park it on Apron P and push it back yourself so it leaves the taxiway clear ;)

Will text you to say where we will be if you are in town. No firm plans yet.

Fancy Navigator
21st Sep 2004, 19:08
10W, please check your email.
FNav

Captain Airclues
21st Sep 2004, 22:49
10W

With my track record of parking at EGPK anything is possible. :)

Airclues

Martin Walker
23rd Sep 2004, 23:17
Annoying this, but sorry to say, am going to have to pull out. So one down.
Aircraft has just gone tech until mid next week (fuel filler detached during 50hr check) and no longer have the driving option, so 16th place now free.

Cheers, Marrtin.

DX Wombat
24th Sep 2004, 11:35
I'm setting off now for Scotland (via a visit to the dentist) so anyone who will need a lift please use the contact numbers 10W has provided and he will let me know :ok:

jimmydacraw
25th Sep 2004, 09:42
Many apologies for the late cancellation, my car was driven in to overnight last night and is currently not in a driveable state. Grrr.
:*

Hope it doesn't cause a problem!

Jimmydacraw

Crossedcontrols
26th Sep 2004, 11:52
10W and PH-UKU
Thanks for a superb tour.
Very much appreciated especially as you both had just finished a shift.
Hope to see the new place when finished.
Pete and Tom

On the Spot
26th Sep 2004, 22:17
Great visit 10W and PH-UKU thanks for your and your colleagues time and effort.

Will be speaking to some soon for a FIS.

flying snapper
27th Sep 2004, 08:04
Thanks guys for a great visit! We all really appreciate you taking the time to show us around, it really is very impressive. The FISO's do a great job there for us, one of them was saying to me that the biggest prroblem he has is people not signing of with him when they change to another frequency. This means that he will start phoning round to find out where we are, adding to his workload. There is a lesson for all of us there!

Thanks again to you both for your time and hospitality.

Look forward to seeing your new place once it is finished.

Captain Airclues
27th Sep 2004, 20:53
10W

Sorry that I couldn't make it to the evening session. I really can't afford those expensive bars that you drink in up there. :)

Airclues

DX Wombat
27th Sep 2004, 22:26
It was nice to see you attending the Sunday evening Meditation Service Airclues :ok: You and your colleagues were exemplary members of the congregation. Such devotion to prayer is all too rare these days :E :rolleyes:

apache333
28th Sep 2004, 13:01
Thanks guys for a great visit! We at Edinburgh Flying Club all really appreciate you taking the time to show us around. The FISO's really impressed on us that they want us to talk! The D+D people also impressed us with the willingness to help. Guess if I am unsure of my whereabouts at some point I will be relieved to know you are all there.

Thanks again to you both for your time and hospitality.

Letter in the post to follow:D

Nearly Man
10th Aug 2005, 15:20
Were you at it again 10W?
Getting them all googly eyed at your work while dipping your fingers in their pockets!