PDA

View Full Version : Instructing for life?

Icarus Wings
16th Oct 2000, 13:38
I was just wondering how many of you guys out there have chosen to instruct as a career and how many of you are simply hours building. Personally, I originally became an instructor to hours build towards a "proper" flying job but after instructing for a while and finding teaching more enjoyable than i thought it would be i am reconsidering and am thinking about instruction as a career. Any thoughts?

GT
16th Oct 2000, 18:11
I love instructing, but I only do it part-time, at weekends, simply because it doesn't pay enough to make it financially worth my while to give up the day job, much as I would like to. I don't see how you can make a decent living out of flying instruction unless you work for one of the commercial schools or perhaps are CFI at a club/school.

captain206
17th Oct 2000, 00:11
If you like it, do it. what is money?

I paid shedloads to become an instructor and am now still instructing years later. anybody can be a staightline jockey. But I get paid to play!

fallen eagle
17th Oct 2000, 22:26
Icarus If you fancy it give it a go I did it for 17 years but the money was always ----- even as a CPL BX AND CLUB C.F.I. so dont bank on big bucks.Unless its somewhere like Oxford Air Training.You will meet some great people and get some great flying in all sorts of A/C. But you will still be broke.TO MAKE A MILLION IN FLYING START WITH 2 MILLION. Just go for it the industry needs instructors.

Klute
19th Oct 2000, 00:19
Like GT I instruct on a part time basis and have done so for about 11 years. I take my hat off to those that instruct full time with no intention of going to the airlines. There is money to be made at the top end of the instructional market and commercial instructing pays more than many new right hand seats. However to get this far you've got to be poorer for longer.

RVR800
19th Oct 2000, 19:39
Im in the same position as GT and agree

Jimmy the Pilot
21st Oct 2000, 17:29
I work for OATS & I'm intending to stay instructing; here if things carry on as they are. I should earn something like £31K this year, but there are those with more time here who earn quite a bit more.

B clam
21st Oct 2000, 20:30
Guys,

to slightly detour from the nature of this thread I am an airline pilot having recently left the RAF. I was a CFS A2 Tucano QFI for my last tour which I enjoyed immensely. I enjoy my job but would like to do some part time instructing for the satisfaction it offers. I live 5nm S of farnboro' and obtained my JAA FI rating just b4 I left the RAF. Anybody out there have any contacts in my neck of the woods regarding this post?

babble
23rd Oct 2000, 18:46
B clam

You could try contacting the Polular Flying Association (PFA). They have a coaching scheme, including assistant coaches to do people's 1 hour instructional flight required every two years for revalidation of a single engine piston (SEP) class rating.

You would need to be current on SEP aircraft, preferably tailwheel and/or the more demanding PFA types

[This message has been edited by babble (edited 23 October 2000).]

B clam
25th Oct 2000, 00:18
Babble,

ta very much, I never thought of that. In essence I just want to do some real flying again and/or instructing. Your suggestion sounds perfect.