PDA

View Full Version : Private flying/medical question

McJiz
23rd Aug 2004, 21:53
Hi,

Recently undertook a class 1 medical at Gatwick.
Everything is now confirmed as Ok and medical is to be issued but i don't have any paperwork to hand as yet.
Am I still able to hire an aircraft before the medical arrives?

Thanks

McJiz

Pilot16
23rd Aug 2004, 21:58
Tricky question. I would say technically, you should not be flying untill you have the required medical certificate at hand, since it is only then it is truely confirmed that you are fit for flying.

Im asuming your Class 2 has lapsed since you are a PPL.

BlueLine
24th Aug 2004, 22:11
A medical certificate is not valid until signed by the holder. If you want to hire an aeroplane it sounds as if you already hold a licence. Do you hold a previous medical certificate that is still valid?

McJiz
24th Aug 2004, 22:17
Yes, i'm a PPL holder and my class 2 has lapsed.

Looking to undertake commercial training so went for a class 1 licence. Had something that needed looking at but has now be confirmed ok and licence is to be issued.

There's no rush, I can wait til I have the licence in my hand, was only wondering :)

Thanks for the replies

McJiz

FlyingForFun
25th Aug 2004, 09:28
McJiz,

As far as I know, the answers so far are correct - you must have the medical in your possession before you can use it. But regardless of the legal situation, you'd probably have trouble convincing anyone to hire an aircraft to you if you couldn't present your medical to them in any case.....

Good news that you've got your Class 1 - but you'll have to let the excitement build for a little longer!

FFF
--------------

AppleMacster
25th Aug 2004, 11:09
When I went for my Class One, I had just passed my PPL and was keen to do some flying and take some passengers (I had been flying on a CAA Class Two, which wasn't valid for licence issue).

Whilst I had to wait a week or so for the Class One to arrive, they gave me a Class Two there and then. It's worth knowing in case it comes up again. The tests they need to analyse for the Class One issue are not needed for the Class Two, so they could have given you the Class Two anyway.

2close
25th Aug 2004, 23:32
AppleMacster,

A bit confused here. A Class 2 medical is valid for PPL licence issue.

Who told you that you needed a Class 1 for licence issue?

knobbygb
26th Aug 2004, 20:15
But regardless of the legal situation, you'd probably have trouble convincing anyone to hire an aircraft to you if you couldn't present your medical to them in any case...
Hmm... that's somthing always peeves me a bit - I've rented aircraft from at least four places other than where I normally fly from and NONE have ever asked to see either my license or medical certificate. Seems I spent a lot of money on a useless piece of paper :p

Captainkarl
27th Aug 2004, 13:02
I know that for a class 1 its +/- 5 dioptres this chnages to 8 i think after the intial. I am 15 and a PPL student and I want to get my class 1 BUT I am slightly over -5 dioptres in my right eye and I dont want to fork out £500 to be told I will fail! Is there a limit to which they go to ie 5.2? etc? Please can someone help as I want to get my class 1 while my eyes are at 5 so I can then allow for any natural drops (cause theres more leeway after the intial) Please someone help, any atpl's help to please.

Thanks

Karl