PDA

View Full Version : Avgas prices

flyintheointment
23rd Aug 2004, 17:25
Looking for the cheapest mainland UK avgas. EGLM to increase to £1.15 inc' per ltr.Instead of a fly out for the £100 cup of tea perhaps savings on fuel could fund a good lunch?

niknak
23rd Aug 2004, 21:47
I think that you could be going hungry for some time.........

18 months or so ago, I did an unscientific survey of avgas prices at the pumps at around 30 airports and airfields in the UK.
I pumped the results into my contact at Air BP, and he concluded that the vast majority of folk who sell avgas, do so at either just about break even, or sometimes at a loss.

Given the cost of purchasing (it has to be paid for on delivery at the prevailing market price), cost of storage and maintenance and licensing of the dispensing facility, coupled with the fact that when the fuel is actually sold, due to local competition, it may be done so at a price which is less than it was when it was originally bought, the conclusions are hardly suprising.

Most airfields stock avgas, not because they have visions of becoming millionares on the profits, but because without it, very few people would visit them.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Aug 2004, 23:08
Cheapest I've had recently was Blackpool, at 98.7ppl including VAT, with a free landing fee if you took at-least 50 litres.

I try not to think too hard about the more expensive places.

If you want to fund a good lunch Fly, your best bet is a trip to the Channel Islands, around 55-60ppl I think.

G