PDA

View Full Version : becoming a professional instructor?

fatter bloke
17th May 2000, 13:47
I have no asprirations to fly airliners and used to be a teacher of sorts! I am now thinking about flying training and becoming a fulltime instructor or casual as i have other business interests. Is this a viable option or would a company not look past the young and more experienced pilot who will move to bigger and better things. I cannot move due to buiness interests so this would have to be around the Brisbane/Northern nsw area.. do i stand any chance of getting a job around those areas or am i just about to waste alot of money and time in this endevour..
Thanks for any comment in advance

A Very Civil Pilot
18th May 2000, 00:57
I can't speak for Oz, but in the UK there is likely to be an instructor shortage over the next few years with the supposed upturn in aviation. If that is likely to happen your way as well, there should be more openings for instructors. Most clubs would prefer someone who is likely to stay around long-term, rather than move on to an airline after a couple of years.

AV8 consultants
18th May 2000, 02:53
Go for it mate, age is on your side when it comes to instructing. They know you are not going to move off in a hurry so you are dead cert of keeping your position whether it be full time, part time or casual. Make the system work for you, get out and find a few students yourself who are ready to start and get a job. I did, age 37.

prop-wash
18th May 2000, 06:33
Go for it. The trouble with a lot of younger instructors with big ambitions for airlines is that their heart is not truly in it and the student suffers. Before any backlash occurs, this is definitely not true of all instructors, just some I have come across. You would be best talking to some of the smaller schools and aero clubs as they seem to often to train people rather than names and numbers. Depending on when you are intending to do the rating, I will hopefully be back in Brisbane by mid May 2001 and looking to get my instructor rating if you are looking for someone to train with. Drop me a line if you are interested. [email protected]

------------------
Do not fear the winds of adversity. Remember, the kite rises against the wind, not with it.