PDA

View Full Version : Faa Ppl Bfr & Jaa Cpl

iaf_22
23rd Aug 2004, 13:12
Hi all,

I live in belgium and have a CPL IR ME MCC : JAA
I also did my PPL FAA in Arizona 2 years ago.

I'm now flying sometimes in a flying club that have a N- Registered aircraft along with others OO- (belgium).
I was told by a member of the flying club i'm in, that people who converted their JAA licence to a FAA can fly the N- aircraft but MUST stay in belgium.

Thanksfully i have a 'real' FAA ppl and i can fly anywhere with the N- aircraft.

1) How come ppl who simply converted their JAA licence to an FAA cannot leave belgium with the N- Aircraft ?? where is it written ???

2) I'll have to pass my FAA Biennial Flight Review by the end of the month. What if i do it in 2 months ?will it still be a "flight REVIEW" or a check ?? anything change ??
My guess is it no matter when i do it, even after the 2 years expire, all i have to do to fly as a PIC in a N- Aircraft is to have done a BFR in the last 24 months. ( that s what is written in the FAR... i just wanna make sure i didn't miss anything ?)

Thanks a lot to anyone who could bring me an answer to one of those 2 questions above.

Best Regards,
Mike.

Charlie Zulu
23rd Aug 2004, 14:54
Hi Mike,

My understanding of the FARs is that you can leave your FAA PPL lapse, ie go over the two year period. But before you can fly as P1 again you will have to have done a BFR with a CFI *or* have passed a checkride with a designated examiner (an FAA IR, CPL checkride, ASES addon etc).

All FAA PPLs, including those that are based upon foreign licences (ie, the FAA PPL that is issued under FAR 61.75) are legal to fly N registered aeroplanes anywhere in the world.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Richard.

KitKatPacificuk
24th Aug 2004, 23:28
I agree CZ.

Even if you have a FAA licence based upon a foreign one you must have a BFR.

Just a thought where they maybe be getting confused is that if the pilot has a Belgium licence without an FAA licence based upon it. They can fly an N reg plane but not take it outside Belgium.

Same in UK.

Charlie Zulu
24th Aug 2004, 23:57
Yup that is my understanding as well KitKat.

On the Spot
26th Aug 2004, 07:02
If you get the UK magazine "Flyer" the July04 issue had a good article on where and what you can do with your PPL - be it JAA or Faa flavour - It might give you some pointers for Belgium as it referred to ICAO agreements as well as national regs - The situation is less restricted than I thought