View Full Version : Asthma

radarcontrol
23rd Aug 2004, 13:06
Hi All.

I am just writing to ask a question about the eligibility of candidates applying to NATS who are diagnosed Asthmatics.

I am about to start my final year at university and will Graduate May 2005. I notice the first course start date is now June 2005 so it is my plan to write my online application imminently.

I am a Student PPL and I have recently acquired a JAA Class 2 medical certificate. My Asthma is mild and requires the use of beclomethasone and occasional Salbutamol (both inhaled). Are there any ATCO's out there with Asthma? Were you asked to participate in any special tests? If so it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks.

RC

Easy226
23rd Aug 2004, 16:42
Hi, you might want to have a look at this in the medical section.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=1071434&sortby=&sortorder=

Many Thanks
Dan

radarcontrol
23rd Aug 2004, 17:15
Easy226,

thanks for your post.. I did actually spend some time searching for answers but it seems that most threads on asthma are reletive only to pilot training or specifically the JAR Class 1 medical (which I believe is slightly different to the requirements for an ATCO?). I'd also be interested to hear any NATS policy on Asthma.

RC

Cuddles
23rd Aug 2004, 19:05
Not sure what Nats policy on Asthma is, but you can be sure it's both enlightened and forward thinking.:D

I've got very mild exercise induced Asthma, and they let me in. You could always try having a good dose of Beclamethasone and Ventolin prior to your medical, and then just keep quiet about it, if your asthma is mild and well controlled. If you go blue and wheezy at the drop of a hat, it'll be a different kettle of fish altogether.

As for specific tests, they made me do a peak flow, then ran me round CAA house, twice, in the rain, and then did my peak flow again.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Aug 2004, 19:25
<<and then just keep quiet about it,>>

Utterly irresponsible advice, of course, but hopefully tongue in cheek.

Declare the problem in full and accept what the medics say; they may well pass you and be able offer you useful advice. Remember - they're deciding whether you are fit enough to do the job... not whether you can actually live with a problem. What happens if you fudge your way through and then have a "nasty" when working?

Topofthestack
24th Aug 2004, 10:50
Have had asthma for YEARS, had it when I joined and have always declared it and have taken both those drugs. Medical examiners should be told about it, don't hide it. Will only affect your chances if you're regularly off work because of it, however, if you can keep it under control when they don't seem to see it as a problem. What the doctors don't like is if you have to move onto heavy steroids to overcome a bad attack, then they won't let you work until the medication is out of your system. I have exercised regularly and my asthma seems to have got easier over the years. Most Ops rooms are air-cond so it's a major relief to get into work and have a filtered atmosphere some summer days. Good luck.

Tinpot Radio
24th Aug 2004, 13:15
Radarcontrol

You will pass your ATCO medical if you are a diagnosed Asthmatic as long as it is well controlled with whatever drugs you use and it is not too severe. You do have to pass the lung function and possibly peak flow tests.

Honesty is the best policy as the doctors will know from the tests if you are pulling the wool, and they can speak to your GP anyway as you sign a release form on application (if I remember correctly).

There are several ATCO's (including myself) I know who have Asthma so it need not stop you from applying.

Good Luck:ok:
Tinpot

radarcontrol
24th Aug 2004, 22:40
Thanks very much indeed for your replies. I'll be sending off my application sometime in the next couple of days.

RC

Cuddles
25th Aug 2004, 21:36
Er, sorry, yes, should have been a bit clearer that I wasn't being entirely serious.

gilaine
27th Aug 2004, 10:06
radarcontrol

Hope I'm not bursting any big bubbles or anything, but if I were you I wouldn't count on getting in as soon as you graduate, as you will have read on the rest of the forum, the application process is very long and there are still quite a lot of people (myself included) who are still waiting for a course date after a year in the application process.
Just thought you should be aware, refer to NATS HR dept for more info of course, but there is quite a large waiting list from the looks of things.

G

radarcontrol
27th Aug 2004, 23:30
Gilaine,

Of course... I can't count on anything. For all I know I'll fail the selection tests. The only two things I DO know are that I can get my application in ASAP and go get a Class 1 medical, to aviod dissapointment later.

RC