PDA

View Full Version : help me understand...PLEASE!

El Cid
16th Jul 2000, 00:23
Having decided to become a flying instructor I am currently building hours towards the 150 needed to undertake the commercial course.Would I be better off doing the ATPL exams straight away(in case I wish to change later on to flying airlines)or should I do the basic CPL(A)? What is involved in the CPL as opposed to the ATPL and what are the differences in mandatory study hours(I know its 650 for a ppl ATPL applicant).I wish to qualify as an FI as soon as poss,but finding any info about the CPL(A) is quite difficult.Also,is there a large cost difference?Any help would be greatly appreciated.
El Cid

watford
16th Jul 2000, 15:29
Since the Restricted CPL(A) is not a JAA licence there are no mandatory study hours. The CAA never required an approved course of ground training. The exams are the old CAA ones and so anyone who has obtained a CPL or BCPL (except for the pretend ones issued to PPL-holding FIs) in the past can answer that question. As to whether you should go for the ATPL exams - that's entirely up to you.

All of the information on the Restricted CPL(A) can be found at:
http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/JAR_FCL_CPL_Restricted.pdf

Sporadic E
16th Jul 2000, 20:56
Cid
You will have to do the ATPL exams since they are the only exams available for the JAR licence that you will have to get.

[This message has been edited by Sporadic E (edited 16 July 2000).]

212man
17th Jul 2000, 01:35
ELCID, why ask under another pseudonym (EFATO)???????

These are all pretty simple questions if you comsult the relevant guidance document or AICs.

If you have this much e-acumen, don't waste our time.

------------------
Another day in paradise

El Cid
17th Jul 2000, 01:59
212 man,what the hell are you on about?
Sorry I dont seem to have as much acumen as you would like me to have,I didn't mean to cause offence by daring to ask other pilots for clarification on a subject which I along with many others find somewhat daunting.
Sir,you are going to have to clarify your little jibe about the pseudonym also,jesus,you really are in your own little world aren't you.I have never used another name on this website (I am assuming that is what you mean although I wouldn't want to waste any of your F***ing precious time asking you what the hell you are going on about.
People need to be able to ask questions freely on this site and not feel intimidated by pricks who think they own it,just because their question might seem somewhat "basic" to the more arrogant among us.
Long may this forum be a font of freely given AND freely requested info.If I have misjudged your reply I apologise but as you can tell I AM REALLY ANGRY.
Yours stupidly and time wastingly,
El Cid (chief thick bastard)

2R
17th Jul 2000, 03:33
No such thing as a dumb question,only dumb answers.
What does this button do?

Oleo
18th Jul 2000, 03:29
El Cid, I am not an expert on the system but it seems to me the writing is on the wall re JAR and if you want to progress to the airlines in the future then you may as well bite the bullet now and do the ATPL exams.

Heaven knows you don't want to have to repeat any of that c-rap, and what a relief to get it out-of-the-way, over-and-done-with. Apparently there is not much difference between the exams levels.

Apologies on behalf of 212boy. Of course there is no such thing as a dumb question. There are some very insecure individuals who delight in jumping on people, although in his case he seems to missing a few sandwiches from his lunchbox.