PDA

View Full Version : Instructing on a PPL ?

miss approach
2nd Oct 2000, 16:27
I currently have a PPL and am part way through an IMC. I have also started the ATPL theory exams. (The reality of holding down a full time job and studying is proving to be difficult (!))

What I actually what to do is expand my flying by becoming an instructor and certainly at the moment have no real desire to move on to airlines etc.

My question is, given that I know if I pass the commercial theory exams and a FI course I can instruct on a PPL, what is the reality of this ?

That is, are there PPL instructors out there ?

Is there any problem say, with insurance, contracts etc if you are not paid ?

Are there perception issues with the clubs -that it is not your "proper" job so you wouldn't be as dedicated ??

Does it cause a problem that you can only work weekends and summer evenings ?

Are you taken seriously ? and are there jobs out there for PPL instructors ?

Any comments would be gratefully received.

slider
2nd Oct 2000, 22:53
Check out the post on wannabes "instructing" and also the one about correspondence CPL/FI VFR, may be of interest??

Slider

BlueLine
2nd Oct 2000, 23:01
There are no problems instructing on a PPL. Try talking to the Armstrong Whitworth Flying Club at Coventry, they have a few PPL instructors.

Its an awful waste doing the ATPL exams if you don't intend getting a CPL, remember the exams are only valid for 36 months for licence issue.

ljmf
5th Oct 2000, 02:38
I didn`t know you could instruct just with a PPL.

Under what circumstances can you instruct with a PPL (i.e do you still have to pay for the flight)?

Luftwaffle
5th Oct 2000, 02:55
The country being talked about should be mentioned in a post like this. And possibly what you mean by instructing.

With a private licence you can take your friend up and let him fly the plane. You can even teach him to land. That's instruction of a sort.

In Canada in order to give dual instruction that a private or commercial student logs, to supervise a solo student, or to recommend someone for a flight test, you must hold a commercial licence with a flight instructor rating. For instrument, multi-emgine or float ratings, a certain amount of experience is required, but the instructor rating is not.

In the USA the flight instructor qualification is a separate licence, with separate qualifications to teach multi-engine, instrument, ground school, or other instructors.

I would think that in most countries you would need a commercial licence to be paid to do work involving flying an airplane, but I think the UK has some exceptions.

miss approach
5th Oct 2000, 16:23
As far as I am aware (and I hope I have got this right otherwise I need to get my skates on to get a commercial licence) in the UK you are allowed to instruct up to the licence you hold ie if you hold a PPL you can instruct the PPL syllabus.

You need to pass the commercial written exams and the FI course. You cannot be paid however for instructing.

I hope this is right !

Justin Abeaver
9th Oct 2000, 19:07
Yes, but it must be in a "Club Environment", whatever that is! It must mean there is a bar!

You cannot get paid so it is a big outlay for no dosh.

Don't know anyone who has done it.

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif