PDA

View Full Version : Jumping from a servicable a/c

jezbowman
22nd Aug 2004, 16:36
I did my first parachute jump today! :D (and my second :D :D ).

I did one of these 'one-day' courses (yesterday) leading to a static line drop from 3500ft. I have to say that as a PPL it's the best fun I've had in the air yet!

It struck me though that, compared to PPL training, progression is much quicker. One day of classroom training, including airfield procs, a/c exits and emergencies and then off you go. Solo in a machine you've never flown before! It was easy to fly - two strings to control the 'ailrons'. The same two strings could also be pulled together, giving a 'flap' type shape to the back of the canopy. And that's it - flying solo for the first flight in a a/c with just flaps and ailrons.

The flight was excellent, a new Caravan. Although it looked like a scaled up 172, it climbed like a 737! Amazing a/c. Then the door got opened. My god what a view - never seen anything like it before, just to be sitting near a huge hole in the side looking down while the a/c banked and climed - amazing.

All to soon it was time to jump, feet out the a/c sitting on the floor then with a heart doing something that'd scare an AME, I jumped! And buggered it up... Started kicking like a baby and flapping my arms open, which meant I ended up on my back, then the canopy opened (thank god). Flying it was easy and I made a good approach and landing (but fell over, which is okay).

Unhappy about the exit I decided (like anything) that it was best to have another go IMMEDIATLY and GET IT RIGHT! So I paid for another jump and did a second one. This time I held the 'shuttlecock' position while jumping out and didn't go upside down. Still came out of the position too early though (in partial panic). Some steep turns then another good approach and a heavy landing, in straw stubble so I have some impressive cuts and sprained a muscle as well I think. FANTASTIC!

All in all a very pleasurable experience. An excellent new 'airborn' activity and can't wait to do it again!

The bit I didn't like was the jumping and four seconds of free-fall, but doing it more and more will make that better. It's about setting into my brain that jumping from a plane does not mean 'prepair for death'.

So does anyone else have a passion for jumping from a servicable aircraft?

Anybody not done it 'because it's not safe!' - but you fly a plane?
The guy running the course said they don't see many pilots!

surely not
22nd Aug 2004, 18:12
I did my static line jump many years ago at Thruxton out of a Cessna 185. Arrived at the airfield to see an air sea rescue Sea King hovering above a tree and several fire engines also helping to get a parachutist and chute out of the trees!!!

Like you I fell looking at the sky because I didn't get into the right position. Then the incredible silence as I was suspended, the realisation that the canopy could be flown, albeit being an old fashioned round one, and the heavy landing. Jumped up and shouted with relief and joy. Mrs SN, who was in the States at the time, has banned me from doing it again!!!

madzone
22nd Aug 2004, 22:14
Good for you Jez,

Started in '84 coz I couldnt afford to fly - it got me in the air. Anyhow got hooked and finally stopped after 240 skydives and only one landing in a/c.

Best fun I have ever had - great sport, great friends, great social crack. Lots of different types and different airfields.

Every pilot should have a go at least once.

Amabokoboko
23rd Aug 2004, 05:36
Front page in The Star (Jo'burg's daily) today is a story of a young woman who survived an equipment malfunction from 11500 ft. Apparently her main 'chute didn't open and her backup opened really violently, snapping some of the lines and causing her to spin violently.

She hit some powerlines on the way in which helped to arrest her fall and she seems to be okay, in hospital with a fractured pelvis. Lucky girl :eek:

Taildragger55
23rd Aug 2004, 14:26
Congrats Jezbowman, well done.

There ain't nothing like skydiving. On a scale of 1 to ten golf is ..005 and formula one is 2, and skydiving is 12.

fireflybob
23rd Aug 2004, 23:12
Agree too - did the AFF course a couple of years ago and it was a fantastic experience.

Very impressed by the sheer professionalism of the BPS School at Langar - will never forget jumping out the back of the Skyvan with "Milko" and going unstable! Those instructors are just absolutely the tops as far as I am concerned.

If anyone is interested do not be put off by all the horror stories, usually told by those who know nothing about it. More people die angling annually than skydiving and the modern training chutes are nothing like the round ones of yesteryear.

2close
24th Aug 2004, 07:00
Never having tried it myself (nearly did once but got sent overseas two days before the course) I am not in a position to comment expertly but I am a tad surprised that pilots regularly strap on parachutes not really knowing what to do with it. My training consisted of "release canopy, undo straps, dive at the back of the wing and when clear of the aircraft, pull this handle!!..........oh and by the way, nobody has ever succesfully jumped from a glider below 1700' "........."When were these parachutes last used? They've never been used.....two years (Or whatever it was) on and off the shelf".

Don't get me wrong, I was very grateful for this albeit brief training as, in the event of an emergency I would have at least some chance, but when I read of people tumbling and unable to release their 'chute due to bad exits, etc. possibly there should be more thorough training prior to strapping it to your back.

More people die angling annually

Of boredom????;)

jezbowman
24th Aug 2004, 09:43
When I did gliding I too was given a parachute and told a similar thing - undo the seatbelt, the canopy will be detached by the instructor so jump and pull the handle!

Had no idea what handle he was on about. But he also mentioned that none of these 'chutes had been deployed so I guessed there was little to worry about. It was only afterwards that I realsied I'd discounted the folks who had jumped too low to open them. :uhoh:

Looking forward to jumping again this coming weekend (weather permitting)!!! (Oh and I never got into golf anyway - but that too is probabaly higher risk on stormy days!) :eek: