PDA

View Full Version : Students - "Dreamers" vs. "Doers"

Elk McPherson
2nd Mar 2000, 06:29
Oh esteemed learned colleagues,

I have been instructing now for, um, *thinks* nearly three years and in some ways I am fortunate in that 99% of my students are recreational only.

The problem with that is that I get a lot of "dreamers" in with the "doers" and I can never bring them up to scratch enough to pass the flight tests.

In a commercial school this is not such a problem - there is external motivation there for Commercial Students. For PPLs however the motivation really has to come from inside.

What is it with the namby-pamby snotty-nosed bleeding heart PC "liberals" today? If I say to a student that I want them to fly a straight line on downwind its almost as if I am infringing their civil rights!

Hoping that a Stude will put one hand on the throttle seems almost too much to expect - "I feel more comfortable with two hands on the control column" seems to be a legitimate reason for basically (as I see it) being negligent on take-off.

(of course, leaving your hand off the throttle is reason enough for an EFATO around here!!! :))

Phew.. thats better...

My question is this:
What tricks are there to help a Student place more emphasis on their own flying standards? How do I manipulate the students motivation - and should I?

AV8 consultants
2nd Mar 2000, 08:15
Don't tell them that its to a certain std. Just tell them this is how you are required to fly to get your licence. Teach a CPL std to your student who's doing his PPL and he will pass the first time. It does not mean you have keep the pressure on, just pick them up when they forget to put their hand on the throttle, after a while they will do it instinctively. It takes time but you will develop the right habit. If that doesn't work wack em on the hand with the dipstick as my instructor used to do! better yet tie a lanyard lose around their hand then around the throttle, that works too! Goodluck.

Red Leader
6th Mar 2000, 03:27
Try telling them what may happen one day if they do not fly correctly. We all know that flying is a very dangerous business if you take short cuts, and whilst I do not take pleasure in scaring students with stories, they need to be aware of what can go wrong, and the positive effect on safety of every detail you pick them up on.

Try reading through some recent accident reports with them for inspiration.

Assuming the student has motivation to stay alive, show them how they will decrease their chances of staying so if they don't do as you say!