PDA

View Full Version : Jeppesen Flitestar/GPS compatibility

df1
21st Aug 2004, 13:35
Hi,

I've run into a conflicting reports about the use of Flitestar VFR and the Garmin GPS 196. I've just got hold of a 196 second hand.

Now, I'm looking to get a flight planning programme for VFR flight in Europe and it looks as though the Flitestar has some good features. My concern is that I've heard and read that this software is not compatible with a GPS 196 in terms of upload/download of flight routes and plans! I wonder if this is true or is it a myth? I'm using windows XP and will connect to the GPS using a USB from my laptop.

Any views/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Dan.

Fly Stimulator
21st Aug 2004, 15:48
The 196 doesn't have a USB interface, only a serial one. For that you need a 296.

Assuming you have a serial port to connect it to, the 196 works perfectly with FliteStar for exchanging routes and waypoints.

Once you've completed your flight you can download the track data and overlay that on FliteStar's map too.

In my case this is with Windows 2000.

df1
22nd Aug 2004, 10:25
Fly,

Thanks for this information. I've sent you PM.

Dan

S-Works
22nd Aug 2004, 14:49
the 296 does not work as it connects via USB and fligt star does not support a USB connection. I am running the latest fligt star as I subscribe to the update service.